[Hpn] We lost everything' Outreach aids victims of Everett tanker blast

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:48:41 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C839FD.3E5E3690

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=3D10=
49655

We lost everything'
Outreach aids victims of Everett tanker blast
By Marie Szaniszlo

Sunday, December 9, 2007=20

All 47 people left homeless by last week's fuel tanker explosion in =
Everett will be placed in private or public housing by midweek, a state =
spokesman said yesterday.

"A majority of people will be in housing by the beginning of the week, =
and all should be by midweek," said Kofi Jones, spokeswoman for the =
secretary of Housing and Economic Development.

In all, 47 people were left homeless by the fire and 21 cars were =
totalled, Everett Mayor John F. Hanlon said. Dozens of others were =
temporarily displaced by smoke and water damage but able to return to =
their homes.

Officials are trying to arrange free transit passes from the MBTA for =
those who lost cars.
The city has agreed to put up all of those left homeless at area motels =
for three days and the Red Cross agreed to do the same, Hanlon said. =
After that, city and state officials will have to find permanent housing =
for the displaced, he said.

The inferno engulfed Everett's Main Street early Wednesday morning when =
a tanker filled with 9,400 gallons of gasoline capsized on the Sweetser =
Circle Rotary, unleashing a tsunami of gas and fire that incinerated two =
triple-deckers and dozens of cars on Main Street, but miraculously took =
no lives. Chad LaFrance of Dover, N.H., has been charged with speeding.

"We lost everything," said Karla Ulloa, 20, who lived with her mother in =
an apartment at 74 Main St., now a pile of rubble covered with a tarp =
and cordoned off with a fence. "It's the worst time, especially with =
Christmas coming. It's traumatizing. But we're lucky to be alive."

The Red Cross is helping 18 families with a variety of needs, including =
agreeing to pay one month's rent and/or security deposit, in addition to =
food, clothing and other necessities, said Amelia Aubourg, a Red Cross =
spokeswoman.

The Red Cross also has set up a Disaster Relief Fund to benefit the =
Everett victims at 139 Main St., Cambridge, MA 02142.

"What's amazing to see is just the compassion of people," Aubourg said. =
"We still continue to get calls offering all kinds of help."

A fund the city has started for the victims at Eagle Bank at 466 =
Broadway in Everett has already reached more than $9,000, Hanlon said.

Stop & Shop, Costco and virtually every restaurant in Everett has =
donated food, he said. And countless big-hearted Bay Staters have =
stopped by the local armory, where most of those left homeless spent the =
first night after the fire to donate everything from home-baked cookies =
to socks and shoes.

So many people have donated clothes, Hanlon said, that some will be =
forwarded to other nonprofits, including the Salvation Army.

Officials say money and gift cards are the most useful donations. The =
money will be used to help pay for housing and other necessities, Hanlon =
said.

Among those in need is Selene Miranda, 31. Miranda has polio, but didn't =
have time to retrieve the brace for her leg the night of the fire. She =
needs a prescription for a new one but has no way of getting to her =
doctor in Brookline because her 2000 Kia was the first to explode.

"I lost all the Christmas presents I was going to send home to my =
family," Miranda said

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C839FD.3E5E3690

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#174a83><A=20
href=3D"http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articl=
eid=3D1049655">http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg=
?articleid=3D1049655</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#174a83></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#174a83>We lost everything=92</FONT></DIV>
<H2>Outreach aids victims of Everett tanker blast</H2><!--//Byline =
box//-->
<DIV><STRONG><SPAN class=3Dbold>By Marie Szaniszlo</SPAN></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><SPAN class=3Dbold></SPAN><BR></STRONG>Sunday, December 9, =
2007=20
</DIV>
<DIV id=3DbylineBio style=3D"DISPLAY: none">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV id=3DratingDiv></DIV><!--//tool box end//--><!--//article and page =
numbers//-->
<DIV class=3DarticleFull id=3DarticleFull>
<P><SPAN class=3DarticleBegin>A</SPAN>ll 47 people left homeless by last =
week=92s=20
fuel tanker explosion in Everett will be placed in private or public =
housing by=20
midweek, a state spokesman said yesterday.</P>
<P>=93A majority of people will be in housing by the beginning of the =
week, and=20
all should be by midweek,=94 said Kofi Jones, spokeswoman for the =
secretary of=20
Housing and Economic Development.</P>
<P>In all, 47 people were left homeless by the fire and 21 cars were =
totalled,=20
Everett Mayor John F. Hanlon said. Dozens of others were temporarily =
displaced=20
by smoke and water damage but able to return to their homes.</P>
<DIV id=3DAdMiddle>Officials are trying to arrange free transit passes =
from the=20
MBTA for those who lost cars.</DIV>
<P>The city has agreed to put up all of those left homeless at area =
motels for=20
three days and the Red Cross agreed to do the same, Hanlon said. After =
that,=20
city and state officials will have to find permanent housing for the =
displaced,=20
he said.</P>
<P>The inferno engulfed Everett=92s Main Street early Wednesday morning =
when a=20
tanker filled with 9,400 gallons of gasoline capsized on the Sweetser =
Circle=20
Rotary, unleashing a tsunami of gas and fire that incinerated two =
triple-deckers=20
and dozens of cars on Main Street, but miraculously took no lives. Chad =
LaFrance=20
of Dover, N.H., has been charged with speeding.</P>
<P>=93We lost everything,=94 said Karla Ulloa, 20, who lived with her =
mother in an=20
apartment at 74 Main St., now a pile of rubble covered with a tarp and =
cordoned=20
off with a fence. =93It=92s the worst time, especially with Christmas =
coming. It=92s=20
traumatizing. But we=92re lucky to be alive.=94</P>
<P>The Red Cross is helping 18 families with a variety of needs, =
including=20
agreeing to pay one month=92s rent and/or security deposit, in addition =
to food,=20
clothing and other necessities, said Amelia Aubourg, a Red Cross=20
spokeswoman.</P>
<P>The Red Cross also has set up a Disaster Relief Fund to benefit the =
Everett=20
victims at 139 Main St., Cambridge, MA 02142.</P>
<P>=93What=92s amazing to see is just the compassion of people,=94 =
Aubourg said. =93We=20
still continue to get calls offering all kinds of help.=94</P>
<P>A fund the city has started for the victims at Eagle Bank at 466 =
Broadway in=20
Everett has already reached more than $9,000, Hanlon said.</P>
<P>Stop &amp; Shop, Costco and virtually every restaurant in Everett has =
donated=20
food, he said. And countless big-hearted Bay Staters have stopped by the =
local=20
armory, where most of those left homeless spent the first night after =
the fire=20
to donate everything from home-baked cookies to socks and shoes.</P>
<P>So many people have donated clothes, Hanlon said, that some will be =
forwarded=20
to other nonprofits, including the Salvation Army.</P>
<P>Officials say money and gift cards are the most useful donations. The =
money=20
will be used to help pay for housing and other necessities, Hanlon =
said.</P>
<P>Among those in need is Selene Miranda, 31. Miranda has polio, but =
didn=92t have=20
time to retrieve the brace for her leg the night of the fire. She needs =
a=20
prescription for a new one but has no way of getting to her doctor in =
Brookline=20
because her 2000 Kia was the first to explode.</P>
<P>=93I lost all the Christmas presents I was going to send home to my =
family,=94=20
Miranda said</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C839FD.3E5E3690--