[Hpn] No More Homeless Under 2nd Ave Bridge

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:30:56 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01C78B5E.130E7610

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D6448057&nav=3D8fap

Columbus

No More Homeless Under 2nd Ave Bridge

It's moving day for the homeless living under the Second Avenue bridge =
in Columbus. Columbus has been working to relocate the homeless from =
under the bridge for the past month.=20

All that's left under the second avenue bridge are some mattresses, =
clothes, and other leftover belongings.=20

City employees have been working with several organizations to move the =
homeless into shelters, after some businesses in the area had =
complained.=20

"They really, I think, understand that they've got to move one and for =
the most part they have," said Columbus Mayor Jim Wetherington.=20

The plan was to move the homeless out earlier this year, but Mayor Jim =
Wetherington let them stay until the weather warmed up.=20

"I think we've made some good connections, good strides with the people =
under the bridge," said Wetherington.=20

The Homeless Resource Network is just one of the organizations helping =
out with the move.=20

"A few people have expressed to me they were grateful to have the time =
they had, it gave them an opportunity to try and find something else," =
said Elizabeth Alcantara, Director of the Homeless Resource Network.=20

Alcantara says many of the homeless went to shelters, some just found =
another outdoor spot, and others were given bus tickets to reconnect =
with their families.=20

Alcantara hopes the second avenue relocation will jump start a movement =
to get people off the streets.=20

"Let this be a starting of that. What we can do together to address =
homelessness in a more comprehensive way so we don't have so many people =
living outside under the bridge," she said.=20

Even though Monday was the deadline to move out, Mayor Jim Wetherington =
says they're giving people until Wednesday or Thursday to go back and =
get any belongings they left behind.=20

The mayor says they will not be putting up a fence in the area around =
the bridge as first discussed. But police will be patrolling the area, =
and any homeless who are staying under the bridge, will be arrested

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01C78B5E.130E7610

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><FONT size=3D1><A=20
href=3D"http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D6448057&amp;nav=3D8fap">=
http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D6448057&amp;nav=3D8fap</A></FONT=
></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><FONT size=3D1></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><FONT size=3D1>Columbus</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><FONT size=3D1><BR></FONT><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: #000000"><B>No More Homeless Under 2nd =
Ave=20
Bridge</B></FONT><BR clear=3Dall></DIV></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>
<DIV id=3DstoryBody style=3D"DISPLAY: inline" name=3D"storyBody">
<P>It's moving day for the homeless living under the Second Avenue =
bridge in=20
Columbus. Columbus has been working to relocate the homeless from under =
the=20
bridge for the past month. </P>
<P>All that's left under the second avenue bridge are some mattresses, =
clothes,=20
and other leftover belongings. </P>
<P>City employees have been working with several organizations to move =
the=20
homeless into shelters, after some businesses in the area had =
complained. </P>
<P>"They really, I think, understand that they've got to move one and =
for the=20
most part they have," said Columbus Mayor Jim Wetherington. </P>
<P></P>
<P>The plan was to move the homeless out earlier this year, but Mayor =
Jim=20
Wetherington let them stay until the weather warmed up. </P>
<P>"I think we've made some good connections, good strides with the =
people under=20
the bridge," said Wetherington. </P>
<P>The Homeless Resource Network is just one of the organizations =
helping out=20
with the move. </P>
<P>"A few people have expressed to me they were grateful to have the =
time they=20
had, it gave them an opportunity to try and find something else," said =
Elizabeth=20
Alcantara, Director of the Homeless Resource Network. </P>
<P>Alcantara says many of the homeless went to shelters, some just found =
another=20
outdoor spot, and others were given bus tickets to reconnect with their=20
families. </P>
<P>Alcantara hopes the second avenue relocation will jump start a =
movement to=20
get people off the streets. </P>
<P>"Let this be a starting of that. What we can do together to address=20
homelessness in a more comprehensive way so we don't have so many people =
living=20
outside under the bridge," she said. </P>
<P>Even though&nbsp;Monday was the deadline to move out, Mayor Jim =
Wetherington=20
says they're giving people until Wednesday or Thursday to go back and =
get any=20
belongings they left behind. </P>
<P>The mayor says they will not be putting up a fence in the area around =
the=20
bridge as first discussed. But police will be patrolling the area, and =
any=20
homeless who are staying under the bridge, will be =
arrested</P></DIV></FONT>

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01C78B5E.130E7610--