[Hpn] Man found in car dies on way to hospital

William Charles Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:47:23 -0500

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/060329hermit.shtml

Man found in car dies on way to hospital

By LARRY GRARD

A Massachusetts man who reportedly had been living in his car in a camping
area since midwinter died while being taken to the hospital Monday, police
said. John Connolly, 59, died early Monday afternoon, Maine State Police Lt.
Dale P. Lancaster said Tuesday. Kennebec Valley Ambulance was taking
Connolly to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan.

Lancaster said Trooper Randall Keaten found Connolly when he was called to
the area off Carry Pond Road shortly after noon. A passer-by had noticed
Connolly sprawled across the front seat of his 1990 Buick LeSabre, Lancaster
said.

"Trooper Keaten found him alive, but not responding well, with labored
breathing," Lancaster said. "En route to the hospital, Mr. Connolly passed
away."

Connolly's body was taken to the state Medical Examiner's Office in Augusta.
An autopsy will be performed to determine a cause of death. No foul play is
suspected, Lancaster said.

A sister of Connolly's from New Hampshire told Keaten that Connolly had
fallen on difficult times.
"He had lost his job in Massachusetts and he had a recent death in the
family that had made him despondent," Lancaster said. "He had found his way
to Maine."

Stanley Giguere, the Pleasant Ridge road commissioner, said Connolly had
been living in his car at the camping site for about two months. No one he
knows of had spoken to Connolly, Giguere said.

"I have been watching the guy," Giguere said. "Every time I plowed the road,
he'd move the car so I could plow. He was just living in his car." Connolly
apparently was eating out of a cooler he had placed in the back of the car,
Giguere said. He never tried to talk to Connolly, he said.

"I'd pull around and wave to him and keep on going, and he'd wave back,"
Giguere said.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0613-1, 03/29/2006
Tested on: 3/29/2006 9:47:24 AM