[Hpn] No Homemade Meals For The Homeless

William Charles Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Tue, 05 Dec 2006 04:56:56 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C71829.C9FC7640

No Homemade Meals For The Homeless
http://utterlyboring.com/archives/2006/12/04/no_homemade_mea.php
At least in Fairfax County, Va were you'll now need a commercial license =
to give food to the needy.=20

  FAIRFAX, Va. -- From now on, feeding the homeless in Fairfax County =
will require more than just a big heart. You'll also need a =
commercial-grade refrigerator, a three-compartment sink and county =
certification.=20

  Officials said this week that a new campaign to enforce the county =
food code at shelters is aimed at preventing food poisoning among the =
homeless. But operators of shelters said forcing them to reject =
donations of sandwiches or casseroles prepared at home or in church =
kitchens is not in the best interest of their clients because it will =
make it harder to provide them with healthy, hot meals.

  "We're very aware that a number of homeless people eat out of =
Dumpsters, and Mom's pot roast has got to be healthier than that," said =
Jim Brigl, chief executive of Fairfax Area Christian Emergency & =
Transitional Services. "But that doesn't meet the code."

This reminds me of the rule at most school districts that you're not =
allowed to bring homemade treats to class parties. That one really =
annoys the heck out of me, as my wife gets magazines with great fun =
treats for my daughter's class parties (Halloween, etc...), but they'd =
have to be made in a commercial kitchen or bought from a store or they =
won't let it in the door. This is even after my wife had to have a =
criminal background check so she could volunteer at the school. I can =
understand you wanting to be careful, but there are just some people you =
have to worry about less than others.=20

Posted by Jake on 12/04/06=20

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C71829.C9FC7640

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H3><A name=3D004295></A>No Homemade Meals For The Homeless</H3>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://utterlyboring.com/archives/2006/12/04/no_homemade_mea.php"=
>http://utterlyboring.com/archives/2006/12/04/no_homemade_mea.php</A></FO=
NT></DIV>
<P><A=20
href=3D"http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--homelessfood=
ban1129nov29,0,4372826.story?coll=3Ddp-headlines-virginia"=20
target=3D_blank><FONT color=3D#104f52>At least in Fairfax County, =
Va</FONT></A> were=20
you'll now need a commercial license to give food to the needy.=20
<BLOCKQUOTE>FAIRFAX, Va. -- From now on, feeding the homeless in Fairfax =

  County will require more than just a big heart. You'll also need a=20
  commercial-grade refrigerator, a three-compartment sink and county=20
  certification.=20
  <P></P>
  <P>Officials said this week that a new campaign to enforce the county =
food=20
  code at shelters is aimed at preventing food poisoning among the =
homeless. But=20
  operators of shelters said forcing them to reject donations of =
sandwiches or=20
  casseroles prepared at home or in church kitchens is not in the best =
interest=20
  of their clients because it will make it harder to provide them with =
healthy,=20
  hot meals.</P>
  <P>"We're very aware that a number of homeless people eat out of =
Dumpsters,=20
  and Mom's pot roast has got to be healthier than that," said Jim =
Brigl, chief=20
  executive of Fairfax Area Christian Emergency &amp; Transitional =
Services.=20
  "But that doesn't meet the code."</P></BLOCKQUOTE>This reminds me of =
the rule at=20
most school districts that you're not allowed to bring homemade treats =
to class=20
parties. That one really annoys the heck out of me, as my wife gets =
magazines=20
with great fun treats for my daughter's class parties (Halloween, =
etc...), but=20
they'd have to be made in a commercial kitchen or bought from a store or =
they=20
won't let it in the door. This is even after my wife had to have a =
criminal=20
background check so she could volunteer at the school. I can understand =
you=20
wanting to be careful, but there are just some people you have to worry =
about=20
less than others.=20
<P></P><A name=3Dmore></A>
<DIV class=3Dby align=3Dright>Posted by <A =
href=3D"http://utterlyboring.com/"><FONT=20
color=3D#104f52>Jake</FONT></A> on 12/04/06 </DIV></DIV><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><BR><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C71829.C9FC7640--