[Hpn] System needs to change!!!!+++Herber Buddy This Idea Has Not Worked In Past 10 Years

William Charles Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 05:57:39 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0183_01C6C99D.B3ED0020

Homeless need systematic, not spare, change

      By Heber Taylor
      The Daily News=20
     =20

Published August 27, 2006

I was sitting in my truck the other evening, eating ice cream.

A woman asked me if I had any spare change.

I did. Without thinking, I gave it to her.

Then I heard the news that Bill White, the mayor of Houston, was asking =
people to stop giving money to homeless people.

It's a message I've heard at least 25 times from Ted Hanley. He's the =
executive director of The Jesse Tree, which provides help to people in =
Galveston County who need it.

The choice, Hanley says, is simple: it's spare change or systemic =
change.

Giving to charitable groups, rather than to panhandlers, is a more =
effective way to address the problems of homeless people.

Hanley points out that people who live on the streets are there for a =
reason. Addictions and mental illness - often both - account for most of =
cases.

Giving people spare change enables them to continue the life they live =
now. Spare change enables them to continue to live on the street. To buy =
alcohol or drugs. To avoid seeking help for serious illnesses.

While people live on the streets, their medical problems tend to get =
worse.

The person who hands money for a doughnut or a beer to a homeless person =
suffering from diabetes may be kind, but it's an uninformed, almost =
careless, kindness.

That spare change also lets vulnerable people continue to live a life =
that makes them easy prey. Some homeless people are beaten. Some are =
raped. Some are robbed.

Hanley has pitched the idea of coupons.

You could buy a coupon book from charitable groups for $10 or $20. =
Instead of giving a homeless person money, you could give a coupon that =
would be good for a meal or a room at a shelter.

Homeless folks who went to the charitable organizations could be =
screened and directed to help.

The coupon book is a good idea. But the community hasn't exactly =
embraced it.

In the past 15 years, countless groups have met to discuss the problems =
of homeless people in Galveston.

Typically, committees are formed, needs are assessed, speeches are made. =
Occasionally, grants are secured, which fund jobs for people who help =
the homeless.

But the number of people who are living on the streets hasn't been =
drastically reduced. At least not that I can see.

I'm wondering if there isn't a simpler way.

I'm wondering if we could all encourage each other to think in terms of =
systemic change instead of spare change.

I'll try something if you will.

I'm going to tell the next homeless person who asks for spare change: =
"No."

I bet I'll feel awful.

But if I do, I'm going to write a small check to a charitable =
organization that helps homeless people. The Jesse Tree, for example, =
accepts donations at 2622 Market St., Galveston, Texas 77550.

That check could make me feel a little better about that decision to =
keep the spare change.

Do you think that would work for you?

I'll try it if you will.

Heber Taylor is editor of The Daily News.
------=_NextPart_000_0183_01C6C99D.B3ED0020

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheadline>Homeless need systematic, not spare, =
change</DIV><BR>
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D"100%">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3Dbyline><A=20
      =
href=3D"http://news.galvestondailynews.com/contact.lasso?ewcd=3D21a9a6413=
5df710c83bb5193f76cefa020f46f6c2e9a0bac3ba77b59674e3626">By=20
      Heber Taylor</A></SPAN><BR><SPAN class=3Dbylinetitle>The Daily =
News</SPAN>=20
      </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></TD>
    <TD align=3Dleft width=3D175></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P class=3Dtimestamp>Published August 27, 2006</P><!-- Upper story pager =
navigation code begins --><!-- Upper story pager navigation code ends =
--><SPAN=20
class=3Dstory-body>I was sitting in my truck the other evening, eating =
ice=20
cream.<BR><BR>A woman asked me if I had any spare change.<BR><BR>I did. =
Without=20
thinking, I gave it to her.<BR><BR>Then I heard the news that Bill =
White, the=20
mayor of Houston, was asking people to stop giving money to homeless=20
people.<BR><BR>It=92s a message I=92ve heard at least 25 times from Ted =
Hanley. He=92s=20
the executive director of The Jesse Tree, which provides help to people =
in=20
Galveston County who need it.<BR><BR>The choice, Hanley says, is simple: =
it=92s=20
spare change or systemic change.<BR><BR>Giving to charitable groups, =
rather than=20
to panhandlers, is a more effective way to address the problems of =
homeless=20
people.<BR><BR>Hanley points out that people who live on the streets are =
there=20
for a reason. Addictions and mental illness =97 often both =97 account =
for most of=20
cases.<BR><BR>Giving people spare change enables them to continue the =
life they=20
live now. Spare change enables them to continue to live on the street. =
To buy=20
alcohol or drugs. To avoid seeking help for serious =
illnesses.<BR><BR>While=20
people live on the streets, their medical problems tend to get =
worse.<BR><BR>The=20
person who hands money for a doughnut or a beer to a homeless person =
suffering=20
from diabetes may be kind, but it=92s an uninformed, almost careless,=20
kindness.<BR><BR>That spare change also lets vulnerable people continue =
to live=20
a life that makes them easy prey. Some homeless people are beaten. Some =
are=20
raped. Some are robbed.<BR><BR>Hanley has pitched the idea of=20
coupons.<BR><BR>You could buy a coupon book from charitable groups for =
$10 or=20
$20. Instead of giving a homeless person money, you could give a coupon =
that=20
would be good for a meal or a room at a shelter.<BR><BR>Homeless folks =
who went=20
to the charitable organizations could be screened and directed to=20
help.<BR><BR>The coupon book is a good idea. But the community hasn=92t =
exactly=20
embraced it.<BR><BR>In the past 15 years, countless groups have met to =
discuss=20
the problems of homeless people in Galveston.<BR><BR>Typically, =
committees are=20
formed, needs are assessed, speeches are made. Occasionally, grants are =
secured,=20
which fund jobs for people who help the homeless.<BR><BR>But the number =
of=20
people who are living on the streets hasn=92t been drastically reduced. =
At least=20
not that I can see.<BR><BR>I=92m wondering if there isn=92t a simpler=20
way.<BR><BR>I=92m wondering if we could all encourage each other to =
think in terms=20
of systemic change instead of spare change.<BR><BR>I=92ll try something =
if you=20
will.<BR><BR>I=92m going to tell the next homeless person who asks for =
spare=20
change: =93No.=94<BR><BR>I bet I=92ll feel awful.<BR><BR>But if I do, =
I=92m going to=20
write a small check to a charitable organization that helps homeless =
people. The=20
Jesse Tree, for example, accepts donations at 2622 Market St., =
Galveston, Texas=20
77550.<BR><BR>That check could make me feel a little better about that =
decision=20
to keep the spare change.<BR><BR>Do you think that would work for=20
you?<BR><BR>I=92ll try it if you will.<BR><BR>Heber Taylor is editor of =
The Daily=20
News.</SPAN> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0183_01C6C99D.B3ED0020--