[Hpn] OCTOBER 3rd HUNGER CLINIC, QUEENS PARK

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:55:09 -0400

From:   ocap@tao.ca

** please circulate widely **

OCAP'S QUEEN'S PARK HUNGER CLINIC ON OCTOBER 3RD

SPECIAL MEETING FOR ALLIES/VOLUNTEERS
STREET HEALTH, 338 DUNDAS (EAST OF SHERBOURNE)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 3.00 PM

    If Dalton McGuinty and Sandra Pupatello are peeping through the
curtains on October 3, they won't like what they see.  On the lawns of
Queen's Park, thirty medical providers will be signing up over one
thousand poor people to receive the Special Diet Supplement.  OCAP's Mass
Hunger Clinic will be underway.

    Since we began holding clinics and spreading the word in poor
communities, thousands of people on welfare have been able to receive the
$250 per person per month diet allowance.  An obscure entitlement in the
regulations has become a key weapon in the fight against hunger and
poverty.  Since 1995, social assistance rates have lost over 40% of their
real value.  This downward movement in income support payments has dragged
down wages and helped to make Ontario 'open for business'. The other side
of the picture is the hundreds of thousands who are unable to pay the rent
and afford what the Canada Food Guide tells us they must eat in order to
be healthy.  Through our Campaign, growing numbers are now putting food on
the table and this will not be taken away without a fight.

    We are poised to take things forward with our Queen's Park Hunger
Clinic. It is a huge and very complex undertaking and we will need help to
pull it off.  We have to transport and set up a lot of equipment, feed a
huge number of people and facilitate the whole event.

    Volunteers to assist in a range of tasks are urgently needed and an
impressive display of on site solidarity will help ensure that some
who wish the clinic wasn't happening can only wish.

    Individuals who want to help on the October 3 are welcome but we also
hope that unions and community organizations will recruit groups of their
members to assist us.  To help us plan, it is vital that you contact us
ahead of time, to let us know that you and/or your union, community group,
flying squad, organization's members can attend the planning meeting and
the Hunger Clinic. Please email ocap@tao.ca or call John Clarke at
416.925.6939

    Thank you for your help in making the Hunger Clinic a victory for poor
communities and a day the McGuinty Government will want to forget.

     Please attend:

SPECIAL MEETING FOR ALLIES/VOLUNTEERS
STREET HEALTH, 338 DUNDAS (EAST OF SHERBOURNE)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 3.00 PM

                **
  Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
 10 Britain St. Toronto, ON  M5A 1R6