[Hpn] Up Date On Relief Effort In Louisiana.

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:01:31 -0400

Hi Bill;

    Today, we taked about the possibility of New Orleans being evacuated,
and about whether the levees could take another hurricane. Most agreed they
could NOT, although the group concensus was to stay and remain with the
community where we might be needed. The medical team felt particularly
strongly about that ...

    I spent a good share of my day, personally, checking storm drains to see
if they needed debris cleaned out, which could help prevent flooding and I
handed out leaflets about the free medical clinic by driving around the
neighborhood in my Nissen Sentra and personally meeting folks, giving them
one and asking whether they were willing to take a handful to hand out in
their church, mosque, synogue, etc. or other groups they might belong to.
Most were more than willing to pass the word around. The community I'm
staying in is called "Algiers" and is on the West Bank of the Mississippi
River directly across from downtown New Orleans. You can stand on top of one
of the levees and see the river and the city, which I did several times.
I've never seen a levee before or lived in a city that had them ... but they
are the only thing keeping incredible amounts of water from inundating the
city.

I also found out that Louis Armstrong was born and raised in Algiers. Its a
very old, historically significant Black neighborhood full of wonderful kind
people that was been ignored, sometimes badmouthed by the mainstream media.
I'm rapidly realizing that much of what we see and hear is not entirely the
truth, although I won't go so far as to call mainstream reporting a lie.
Suffice it to say that the mainstream media will report what they understand
to be the truth, but often will not look beneath the surface to see what is
truly there.

    Anyway, this is turning into a long message, so until next time, seek
safe and be strong in the struggle to end poverty. It is a long and
sometimes tragic road we must walk, but it will in the end bring us all a
better and more just world.

Lynn Magnuson Lmagnuson@aol.com
New Orleans, LA. doing relief work.

William Charles Tinker

New Hampshire Homeless  / Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640  USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org