[Hpn] CAMPUS TO AID HOMELESS NEARS COMPLETION

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:56:54 -0400

Campus to aid homeless nears completion

http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2005/09/19/news/state/state1.txt

Sunday, September 18, 2005

PHOENIX (AP) - A new campus to aid the homeless in downtown Phoenix is
nearly complete.

The $25 million Human Services Campus will bring together six agencies that
help the homeless on 11 acres downtown. Backers of the project still have $5
million of the cost to raise.

The campus, which will be run by businessman Mike McQuaid, will open in
November. McQuaid, a longtime volunteer with the chronically homeless, has
agreed to take just $1 a month as his salary.

''I'll be acting much like the general manager of a partnership,'' said
McQuaid, 60. ''I'll be in charge of overall operation of the campus and
coordinating, mediating, reconciling the six different entities that will be
on the campus.''

Until now, homeless people had to go from agency to agency to get the
different services they needed - a task that was too much for people who
sometimes suffer mental illness, substance abuse problems or both.

''The big lesson for people who help the chronically homeless has been that
you need to concentrate your help in one area,'' said Mark Holleran,
director of the Central Arizona Shelter Services emergency shelter. ''We've
learned you need to offer a sort of 'one-stop shopping' approach.''

William Charles Tinker

New Hampshire Homeless  / Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640  USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org