[Hpn] SOME WORKING TO HELP HOMELESS REGAIN VITALITY

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:35:12 -0400

Some working to help homeless regain vitality

September 18, 2005
By KATI BEXLEY
kati.bexley@staugustinerecord.com

As the St. Johns County grows, developments mow over the bush-camp homes for
numerous transients and homeless, said Jean Harden of the Emergency Services
and Homeless Coalition of St. Johns County.

"It's not something we should sweep under the rug,"

Harden said. "Most of these people are just trying to hang on and live."

The homeless count for the county is 981, but Harden believes the number is
twice that. In December, Harden and 27 volunteers hand counted every
homeless and transient person they could find.

"I know we missed some people, but it was the best we could do," she said.

The county's coalition was created in 1998, but it lacks funding, Harden
said.

"It's not totally hopeless if we could get someone interested in more state
and federal funding for programs," she said. "There are so many programs
that could be done."

And then there are those who believe if you build it they will come.

"Some people worry if you provide more shelter for homeless it will attract
more of them to the county," Harden said.

Most of the 15 transient camps are located in wooded areas next to the
county's five daily labor pools, although one is in Ponte Vedra Beach far
from a day labor center, said Sheriff's Office Deputy Rich McHaux.

Debbie Cochran, manager of Labor Finders, said without their services there
would be more problems with the homeless.

"Some say labor pools are rent-a-bum, but we want to change that
perception," she said. "We want to help them get back on their feet."

At 5 a.m. on most weekdays a stream of transients files into Labor Finders
on West King Street.

"It's like night of the living dead," said St. Augustine Police Officer Tom
Clements. "People come out of the woodwork."

There's also the shelter of St. Francis House in St. Augustine.

Those who go there must find work within three days of moving in. They can
stay a maximum of 28 days, and they have to be sober.

Joey Wilke helps run Food Not Bombs in St. Augustine, which offers food to
the homeless three nights a week.

"A lot of these guys have more heart than anyone will imagine because
they've been through so much."

Transient Alfred Kirkland, 65, wishes more people wanted to help the
homeless.

"It's makes you feel good when you find a good person," he said as his
bottom lip quivered.