[Hpn] REALLY

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:43:01 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C5B5DB.450DE150

FROM THE SUBLIME TO THE RIDICULOUS=20
By a scribe called Haji Mike

Abandoning New Orleans would be surreal

NEW ORLEANS - it is surreal in many ways that people are now, post =
Hurricane Katrina, speaking of abandoning the city of New Orleans =
completely by not rebuilding it. It was such a beautiful place with very =
important cultural traditions. A catastrophe beyond description.

In hindsight so much more could have been done to prevent much of the =
suffering particularly as the Bush administration seems content to =
police distant parts of the world instead of spending those wasted =
billions on people in need in the USA. At the same time, the local state =
authorities could have done so much more in the immediate advance of the =
hurricane.

Recall the criticism lashed out by US experts post 'Tsunami' - many =
people were criticising governments in that region for not doing enough =
in advance. The only person who was doing what he was supposed to be =
doing was New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin - who is brave enough to tell it =
like it is - and face all the consequences. With the prospect of the =
city now becoming a distant memory and the economy losing 400,000 jobs, =
all the thousands of lives lost, homelessness, disease and suffering - =
some people should eventually take responsibility, at all levels of =
government.

BLACK GOLD - that's how local newsreaders keep referring to petrol - and =
I thought they were talking about rare groove vinyl tunes!

Not so long ago you could fill up your petrol tank with ten pounds now =
you need something closer to thirty. When the cost of oil goes up, the =
next minute petrol stations hike up the price of petrol, which they =
bought for less money. When the price of oil goes down, things stay the =
same. And to top it all the government, that lilting rosy coalition of =
political contradictions, are still busy devising a report for =
discussion on the issue. In reality what consumers want is protection =
against price hikes and this action should be applied NOW!

PEYIA - is just one small example of how far out of touch with local =
communities centralised political parties actually are. I won't hail it =
as the beginning of the end, as this has been going on for many decades. =
For as long as political parties have existed, dissent, dissatisfaction =
and rebellion have also prevailed. The only difference with various =
parties in Cyprus, particularly those still dogged by this notion of =
democratic centralism, is they never recognise it for what it actually =
is. In other words, it's almost like saying it never happened.=20

This is not only a trait of the current AKEL leadership, as that's such =
a simplistic excuse. It's common throughout this society, as we always =
want to ignore the other or next point of view. So Peyia, it never =
happened - although it actually did!

NEWS HYPE - the alleged fall out between Chairman Kleanthous and various =
people is getting so much news coverage that it makes me wonder there is =
more to all this than meets the eye. Do various news establishments want =
us to believe 'Chairman Kle' is an awkward political persona or are they =
just seeking gold news nuggets in a hay patch? Last week he expressed =
reservations on the appointment of new finance minister, Michalis =
Sarris. Naturally the skepticism or rather paranoia was over Sarris' =
backing the Annan Plan. Heaven forbid say DIKO headbangers, another =
'yesman' in our ranks. The next day Sarris visits Chairman Kle and they =
apparently patch it up.

Then there's the alleged tiff with the Attorney General over the need =
for an independent enquiry to investigate the Helios tragedy. In reality =
this was nothing more than a misrepresentation by various TV news =
channels, as Clerides did not mention Kleanthous by name. I do get the =
feeling however that Chairman Kleanthous likes to give the feeling that =
he is disheartened, then things are smoothed out and the next day we are =
all moving on to the next crisis which will of course be solved yet =
again by non other than the Chairman himself. Ah, the magic wand of the =
media, whichever jester is in power commands its every motion - present =
company excluded of course!!!

Copyright =A9 Cyprus Mail 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C5B5DB.450DE150

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE><BASE=20
href=3Dhttp://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=3D21784&amp;cat_id=3D1=

charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"" name=3Ddescription>
<META content=3D"" name=3Dkeywords>
<META content=3D"CS Paj=B1czek 2000 PRO v4.8.1" name=3DAuthoring_tool>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY text=3D#000000 vLink=3D#800080 link=3D#0000ff bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<CENTER><FONT face=3Darial size=3D5><B>FROM THE SUBLIME TO THE =
RIDICULOUS</B></FONT>=20
<BR><FONT face=3Darial size=3D2>By a scribe called Haji =
Mike</FONT><BR></CENTER>
<P><FONT face=3Darial size=3D2>Abandoning New Orleans would be =
surreal<BR><BR>NEW=20
ORLEANS - it is surreal in many ways that people are now, post Hurricane =

Katrina, speaking of abandoning the city of New Orleans completely by =
not=20
rebuilding it. It was such a beautiful place with very important =
cultural=20
traditions. A catastrophe beyond description.<BR><BR>In hindsight so =
much more=20
could have been done to prevent much of the suffering particularly as =
the Bush=20
administration seems content to police distant parts of the world =
instead of=20
spending those wasted billions on people in need in the USA. At the same =
time,=20
the local state authorities could have done so much more in the =
immediate=20
advance of the hurricane.<BR><BR>Recall the criticism lashed out by US =
experts=20
post 'Tsunami' - many people were criticising governments in that region =
for not=20
doing enough in advance. The only person who was doing what he was =
supposed to=20
be doing was New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin - who is brave enough to tell =
it like=20
it is - and face all the consequences. With the prospect of the city now =

becoming a distant memory and the economy losing 400,000 jobs, all the =
thousands=20
of lives lost, homelessness, disease and suffering - some people should=20
eventually take responsibility, at all levels of =
government.<BR><BR>BLACK GOLD -=20
that's how local newsreaders keep referring to petrol - and I thought =
they were=20
talking about rare groove vinyl tunes!<BR><BR>Not so long ago you could =
fill up=20
your petrol tank with ten pounds now you need something closer to =
thirty. When=20
the cost of oil goes up, the next minute petrol stations hike up the =
price of=20
petrol, which they bought for less money. When the price of oil goes =
down,=20
things stay the same. And to top it all the government, that lilting =
rosy=20
coalition of political contradictions, are still busy devising a report =
for=20
discussion on the issue. In reality what consumers want is protection =
against=20
price hikes and this action should be applied NOW!<BR><BR>PEYIA - is =
just one=20
small example of how far out of touch with local communities centralised =

political parties actually are. I won't hail it as the beginning of the =
end, as=20
this has been going on for many decades. For as long as political =
parties have=20
existed, dissent, dissatisfaction and rebellion have also prevailed. The =
only=20
difference with various parties in Cyprus, particularly those still =
dogged by=20
this notion of democratic centralism, is they never recognise it for =
what it=20
actually is. In other words, it's almost like saying it never happened.=20
<BR><BR>This is not only a trait of the current AKEL leadership, as =
that's such=20
a simplistic excuse. It's common throughout this society, as we always =
want to=20
ignore the other or next point of view. So Peyia, it never happened - =
although=20
it actually did!<BR><BR>NEWS HYPE - the alleged fall out between =
Chairman=20
Kleanthous and various people is getting so much news coverage that it =
makes me=20
wonder there is more to all this than meets the eye. Do various news=20
establishments want us to believe 'Chairman Kle' is an awkward political =
persona=20
or are they just seeking gold news nuggets in a hay patch? Last week he=20
expressed reservations on the appointment of new finance minister, =
Michalis=20
Sarris. Naturally the skepticism or rather paranoia was over Sarris=92 =
backing the=20
Annan Plan. Heaven forbid say DIKO headbangers, another 'yesman' in our =
ranks.=20
The next day Sarris visits Chairman Kle and they apparently patch it=20
up.<BR><BR>Then there's the alleged tiff with the Attorney General over =
the need=20
for an independent enquiry to investigate the Helios tragedy. In reality =
this=20
was nothing more than a misrepresentation by various TV news channels, =
as=20
Clerides did not mention Kleanthous by name. I do get the feeling =
however that=20
Chairman Kleanthous likes to give the feeling that he is disheartened, =
then=20
things are smoothed out and the next day we are all moving on to the =
next crisis=20
which will of course be solved yet again by non other than the Chairman =
himself.=20
Ah, the magic wand of the media, whichever jester is in power commands =
its every=20
motion - present company excluded of course!!!<BR></FONT></P>
<P>
<CENTER><FONT face=3Darial size=3D2>Copyright =A9 Cyprus Mail =
2005</FONT></CENTER>
<P></P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C5B5DB.450DE150--