[Hpn] Paper Seems To Ignore Homeless Man's Death

Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:05:10 -0400

http://www2.standard.net/standard/opinion/61328/

Paper seems to ignore homeless man's death

Monday, September 5, 2005

Recently my brother-in-law, my son and two friends found the badly
decomposed body of what appeared to be a homeless man. After leading police
to the body, and filling out the necessary reports, they returned home
hoping to later find out more about the man.
The Standard-Examiner, in bold headlines, reported the gruesome discovery of
another body found the same day. Realizing they found the body after the
press deadline, they assumed the story and more facts would come out the
following day.
Nothing was in any subsequent papers. Not even a small notice stating a body
had been found.
So what is the criteria used to determine whether or not the discovery of a
dead man, a once-living and breathing human being, warrants news coverage? I
understand notices about local deaths are normally found in the obituaries,
placed by loving family members.
This man, however, and the details surrounding his death seem to be
unimportant to anyone.
Regardless of whether he was homeless by choice or circumstance, some kind
of notification of his death should have been placed in the paper. Not only
for the reasons that someone may have known him or cared about his well
being, but also to give closure to those who found him.
This has been a very disturbing event for everyone involved, especially my
brother in-law.
All of us find the apparent lack of respect and concern regarding this
homeless man and others like him appalling!
Tammy Hunt
West Haven

William Charles Tinker

New Hampshire Homeless  / Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640  USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org