[Hpn] New Help for Upper Valley Homeless

Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:57:44 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C571DC.1D5DFD90

New Help for Upper Valley Homeless=20

White River Junction, Vermont=20

WCAX.com , 14 June 05=20
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D3475453&nav=3D4QcRb2qd

Weather like this usually has people running for shelter. But what if =
you have no place to go?

"If someone comes to us and says I'm homeless, or me and my girlfriend =
are homeless but we don't have kids, it's like sorry, we can't help you. =
We know they're out there," says Tom Ketteridge.

Ketteridge runs the Upper Valley Haven-- a shelter for homeless =
families. It opened a major expansion a year ago. But the Valley still =
has no place for homeless singles or couples without kids.

"In a typical month we turn away 20-30 single individuals, people who =
don't have any kids," says Ketteridge.

A family of philanthropists has offered up a possible solution. The =
Byrne family will put up half the money if the haven builds a shelter =
for homeless singles.

"Our board of directors feels it's too good of an opportunity to pass =
up."

Ketteridge says a new shelter could be built for under a million =
dollars, but it would have to raise about that much every year to =
operate the two facilities. Once the details are figured out, the Haven =
will begin raising money for the new space.

"We have some very general ideas about where it should be-- near a bus =
line, a lot of folks don't have cars... near downtown, access to =
shopping, state services, unemployment offices."

The goal is to open the new shelter by October of 2006-- before winter =
brings even harsher weather to the homeless.

Kate Duffy - duffy@wcax.com - Channel 3 News

------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C571DC.1D5DFD90

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><BIG><B>New Help for Upper Valley Homeless=20
</B></BIG></DIV><BIG><STRONG></STRONG></BIG>
<DIV><BR>White River Junction, Vermont </DIV>
<DIV><BR>WCAX.com , 14 June 05 <BR><A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext=20
href=3D"http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D3475453&amp;nav=3D4QcRb2=
qd">http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D3475453&amp;nav=3D4QcRb2qd</=
A><BR><BR>Weather=20
like this usually has people running for shelter. But what if you have =
no place=20
to go?<BR><BR>"If someone comes to us and says I'm homeless, or me and =
my=20
girlfriend are homeless but we don't have kids, it's like sorry, we =
can't help=20
you. We know they're out there," says Tom Ketteridge.<BR><BR>Ketteridge =
runs the=20
Upper Valley Haven-- a shelter for homeless families. It opened a major=20
expansion a year ago. But the Valley still has no place for homeless =
singles or=20
couples without kids.<BR><BR>"In a typical month we turn away 20-30 =
single=20
individuals, people who don't have any kids," says =
Ketteridge.<BR><BR><B>A=20
family of philanthropists has offered up a possible solution. The Byrne =
family=20
will put up half the money if the haven builds a shelter for homeless=20
singles.</B><BR><BR>"Our board of directors feels it's too good of an=20
opportunity to pass up."<BR><BR>Ketteridge says a new shelter could be =
built for=20
under a million dollars, but it would have to raise about that much =
every year=20
to operate the two facilities. Once the details are figured out, the =
Haven will=20
begin raising money for the new space.<BR><BR>"We have some very general =
ideas=20
about where it should be-- near a bus line, a lot of folks don't have =
cars...=20
near downtown, access to shopping, state services, unemployment=20
offices."<BR><BR>The goal is to open the new shelter by October of =
2006-- before=20
winter brings even harsher weather to the homeless.<BR><BR>Kate Duffy - =
<A=20
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:duffy@wcax.com">duffy@wcax.com</A> -=20
Channel 3 News<BR></DIV><PRE>&nbsp;</PRE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C571DC.1D5DFD90--