[Hpn] Bellevue plan seen as threat to tent cities

owaynat@comcast.net owaynat@comcast.net
Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:23:16 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_2106_1117812196_0

S T O P  S E N D I N G  M E  E  M A I L S
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PUT SOME HUMAN SENCE IN YOUR HEAD
YOU ARE A MAN WITH NO FEELING NO BRAIN YOU BELONG TO THE ZOO NOT AMONG HUMANS, WELL IF YOU INSIST IN CONTINUING SENDING ME YOUR STUPID E MAILS I WILL KEEP SENDING YOU THE REPLY YOU DESERVE

> [...]

> perishable food.
>
> The camp would have to follow the set-back requirements that apply to the
> existing site user (usually a church).
>
> A camp would have to be surrounded by a "view-obscuring fence" with a
> minimum height of 6 feet.
>
> Opponents complain that some of the language was taken from other laws,
> such as those governing migrant-farm worker housing. But those situations
> are different from a temporary homeless shelter and should not be used as a
> model, they say.
>
> "There are dozens of picky little things that they want to micro-manage,"
> said Bruce Thomas, a resident of Tent City 4, now at a Kirkland church. "It
> would make it impossible to locate there."
>
> Though some Bellevue churches have discussed the issue, none have yet moved
> to host the encampment, which has been roving around the Eastside for about
> a year.
>
> Opponents agree that tent cities should be regulated, but they want
> Bellevue to use the recent King County ordinance instead. They say it
> strikes the right balance between allowing religious institutions to host
> the camps and responding to neighborhood safety and cleanliness concerns.
>
> "Why reinvent the wheel?" Thomas said. "We already went through this
> process with King County and all the groups involved and reached a
> compromise."
>
> City representatives say the draft ordinance is just that -- a draft -- and
> that changes can still be made.
>
> "It's intended to stimulate a discussion," said City Manager Steve Sarkozy.
> "It's not Bellevue's intention to infringe on the constitutional rights of
> any church. I fully expect modifications [to the proposal]."
>
> If passed, the Bellevue ordinance would create a new section of law to deal
> specifically with homeless camps. Currently, the shelters fall under the
> same section as other temporary uses, such as sidewalk sales and
> Christmas-tree lots.
>
> Under the new proposal, the siting of a homeless encampment would become a
> more public -- but also a lengthier -- process, said Mary Kate Berens, a
> city planner.
>
> Currently, no public notice is required when a group applies for a
> homeless-camp permit, and there is no public-comment period or appeal
> process if residents dispute the permit issued.
>
> If the proposed ordinance is enacted, it would require public notice and a
> public-comment period when a group applies for a homeless-camp permit. After
> the director of planning and community development makes a decision, it
> could be appealed to a city hearing examiner.
>
> After the City Council receives all public input on the ordinance, it will
> suggest changes and likely vote by the end of July.
>
> Natalie Singer: 206-464-2704 or nsinger@seattletimes.com
>

> Copyright (c) 2004 The Seattle Times Company
>
> www.seattletimes.com

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_2106_1117812196_0

<DIV>
<DIV>S T O P&nbsp; S E N D I N G&nbsp; M E&nbsp; E&nbsp; M A I L S</DIV>
<DIV>WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PUT SOME HUMAN SENCE IN YOUR HEAD</DIV>
<DIV>YOU ARE A MAN WITH NO FEELING NO BRAIN YOU BELONG TO THE ZOO NOT AMONG HUMANS, WELL IF YOU INSIST IN CONTINUING SENDING ME YOUR STUPID E MAILS I WILL KEEP SENDING YOU THE REPLY YOU DESERVE </DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>
<DIV>
<DIV>S T O P&nbsp; S E N D I N G&nbsp; M E&nbsp; E&nbsp; M A I L S</DIV>
<DIV>WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PUT SOME HUMAN SENCE IN YOUR HEAD</DIV>
<DIV>YOU ARE A MAN WITH NO FEELING NO BRAIN YOU BELONG TO THE ZOO NOT AMONG HUMANS, WELL IF YOU INSIST IN CONTINUING SENDING ME YOUR STUPID E MAILS I WILL KEEP SENDING YOU THE REPLY YOU DESERVE </DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR><BR>&gt; June 3, 2005 <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bellevue plan seen as threat to tent cities <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Full story: <BR>&gt; http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?s <BR>&gt; lug=homeless03e&amp;date=20050603 <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; By Natalie Singer <BR>&gt; Seattle Times Eastside bureau <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Homeless groups and some freedom-of-religion advocates are upset over a <BR>&gt; strict new proposal that would, if passed, make it difficult for temporary <BR>&gt; homeless encampments such as Tent City 4 to locate in the city of Bellevue. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The regulations, set to be discussed at a public hearing Monday, were drawn <BR>&gt; up by city planners and will eventually be considered by the City Council. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The draft rules are more restrictive than similar ordinances recently <BR>&gt; passed by other jurisdictions, including one approved last month by the <BR>&gt; Metropolitan King County Council. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Opponents say the Bellevue proposal -- which regulates everything from <BR>&gt; bathroom facilities to communicable diseases -- would make it nearly <BR>&gt; impossible for churches to host tent cities and could violate <BR>&gt; freedom-of-religion laws. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Bellevue has really set back the cause of religious freedom," said the <BR>&gt; Rev. Sanford Brown, executive director of the Church Council of Greater <BR>&gt; Seattle, which represents more than 400 churches and 15 denominations in the <BR>&gt; region. "It is trying to nit-pick the churches to the point of harassment." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Brown said the council's concerns have been passed on to city staff, but <BR>&gt; that if significant changes aren't made before it's adopted, the group would <BR>&gt; consider legal action. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "We would find it our responsibility to challenge it in court. These <BR>&gt; regulations are frivolous and arbitrary. ... We just can't let it stand." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Under the rules, temporary outdoor homeless encampments would be limited to <BR>&gt; a 60-day stay rather than the current 90 days, would require hot and cold <BR>&gt; running water (which tent cities do not currently have) and would allow no <BR>&gt; more than 100 people, and sometimes fewer, depending on site size (the <BR>&gt; current rules have no specific limits). <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Shelter operators also would have to immediately report to health <BR>&gt; authorities the name and address of anyone "known to have or suspected of <BR>&gt; having a communicable disease." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "That totally breaches confidentiality -- it forces churches to out <BR>&gt; somebody," Brown said. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Other proposed changes include: <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Camps would need one sink for every six people, one shower for every 10 <BR>&gt; people, one toilet for every 15 people and mechanical refrigeration for <BR>&gt; perishable food. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The camp would have to follow the set-back requirements that apply to the <BR>&gt; existing site user (usually a church). <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A camp would have to be surrounded by a "view-obscuring fence" with a <BR>&gt; minimum height of 6 feet. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Opponents complain that some of the language was taken from other laws, <BR>&gt; such as those governing migrant-farm worker housing. But those situations <BR>&gt; are different from a temporary homeless shelter and should not be used as a <BR>&gt; model, they say. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "There are dozens of picky little things that they want to micro-manage," <BR>&gt; said Bruce Thomas, a resident of Tent City 4, now at a Kirkland church. "It <BR>&gt; would make it impossible to locate there." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Though some Bellevue churches have discussed the issue, none have yet moved <BR>&gt; to host the encampment, which has been roving around the Eastside for about <BR>&gt; a year. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Opponents agree that tent cities should be regulated, but they want <BR>&gt; Bellevue to use the recent King County ordinance instead. They say it <BR>&gt; strikes the right balance between allowing religious institutions to host <BR>&gt; the camps and responding to neighborhood safety and cleanliness concerns. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Why reinvent the wheel?" Thomas said. "We already went through this <BR>&gt; process with King County and all the groups involved and reached a <BR>&gt; compromise." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; City representatives say the draft ordinance is just that -- a draft -- and <BR>&gt; that changes can still be made. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "It's intended to stimulate a discussion," said City Manager Steve Sarkozy. <BR>&gt; "It's not Bellevue's intention to infringe on the constitutional rights of <BR>&gt; any church. I fully expect modifications [to the proposal]." <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If passed, the Bellevue ordinance would create a new section of law to deal <BR>&gt; specifically with homeless camps. Currently, the shelters fall under the <BR>&gt; same section as other temporary uses, such as sidewalk sales and <BR>&gt; Christmas-tree lots. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Under the new proposal, the siting of a homeless encampment would become a <BR>&gt; more public -- but also a lengthier -- process, said Mary Kate Berens, a <BR>&gt; city planner. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Currently, no public notice is required when a group applies for a <BR>&gt; homeless-camp permit, and there is no public-comment period or appeal <BR>&gt; process if residents dispute the permit issued. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If the proposed ordinance is enacted, it would require public notice and a <BR>&gt; public-comment period when a group applies for a homeless-camp permit. After <BR>&gt; the director of planning and community development makes a decision, it <BR>&gt; could be appealed to a city hearing examiner. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; After the City Council receives all public input on the ordinance, it will <BR>&gt; suggest changes and likely vote by the end of July. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Natalie Singer: 206-464-2704 or nsinger@seattletimes.com <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Copyright (c) 2004 The Seattle Times Company <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; www.seattletimes.com <BR>&gt; </BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></body></html>

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_2106_1117812196_0--