[Hpn] LOW COST HOUSING FOR SQUATTERS:KEEP YOUR PROMISE!

Fri, 3 Jun 2005 04:05:42 -0400

www.mmail.com/Current_News/MM/Friday/National/20050603113750/Article/index_html

Low-Cost Houses For Squatters: Keep your promise!

MOHD YAAKOB YUSOF

KLANG, June 3 2005:

Squatters of Jalan Papan Village have reminded the State Government to keep
its promise to build 500 low-cost terrace houses for them here.
Chairman of the residents committee, Ang Mah Chye, said the Government had
made the promise in May last year, but until now, there is no sign of the
houses.

"We have found that they will only build 100 houses and not 500 houses as we
had asked," said Ang after a meeting with the residents at a temple
yesterday.

There are 500 families who have been staying there for more than 40 years.

"We received an offer by Pandamaran State Assemblyman Datuk Dr Teh Kim Poo
to buy low-cost flats at RM47,000 each in Bukit Tinggi here but we are not
satisfied," Ang added.

Two weeks ago, they received notices from the Klang Municipal Council (MPK)
to move out before August.

The Jalan Papan area has been earmarked as a commercial and housing area.

A resident, K. Prapakaran said the land was formerly a swamp and so much had
been spent to live comfortably.

"I was offered the Bukit Tinggi flat unit, but I cannot accept it," said the
35-year old clerk.

"It is not suitable for us as my mother is too old to live in an apartment.
They wanted us to pay RM4,500 as deposit and legal fees, but we don't have
the money," said Prapakaran, a second generation resident.

Copyright  The New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad, Balai Berita 31,
Jalan Riong, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.