[Hpn] Needless Arizona homeless deaths and suffering

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:24:02 -0400

 [FOR IMMEDIATE DISSEMINATION]

 July 22, 2005

 To All Relatives and Friends of the Homeless:

 The American Homeless Society and World Homeless
Union lend our full support to the Arizona
Coalition to End Homelessness in its efforts to
end the needless death and suffering of homeless
Americans and immigrants from Latin America
caused by record high Arizona temperatures this
hot summer. How can Arizona and its localities
permit even one more of these needless deaths?

 Other states and localities experiencing similar
threats to the health, safety and welfare of
homeless men, women and children should open
their hearts and doors wide to these destitute
souls, as well. Churches, synagogues and other
charities across the nation should take the lead
in ensuring all homeless people in their midst
are protected from these imminent
life-threatening conditions.

 In Service to the Needy,

 Dr. Ruben Botello, Founder
American Homeless Society
World Homeless Union
http://sananda.tripod.com/homeless/welcome.html

 ***

 Here is the call from the Arizona Coalition to
End Homelessness:

 URGENT!!!   CRISIS ALERT!!!
13 DEAD, MORE EXPECTED TO SUCCUMB TO HEAT!
TEMPORARY SHELTERS NEEDED IMMEDIATELY!

 The Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness has
learned that patients are
 being discharged into homelessness from the
County and Veterans
Hospitals. We have been in contact with local
shelters, but they are
beyond capacity.  Even opening their doors during
the day, they are
having a difficult time with the quantity of
folks in need.  With the
heat crisis and its devastation among our
homeless population, we are
calling on local churches, schools and
organizations to open their doors
for a few days until we can get a handle on the
situation.

 Please consider doing the following:
1. Open your doors during the day for folks
getting out of the
hospital to have a cool place to stay
2. Provide temporary overnight shelter

 If you can do this, we will provide the
following:
1. Water
2. Food
3. Blankets

 Please consider opening your facilities to this
immediate urgent need.
The City of Phoenix has considered the idea of
providing some type of
temporary assistance but cannot do so at this
time.

 It is up to us to care for these individuals in
need.  It truly is a
matter of life or death.

 Please contact anyone who might be able to help
with this need.  Please
forward this email.  Thank you for your time and
consideration.

 Respectfully,

 Meggan Medina
Sarah-Catherine Phillips