[Hpn] Re: Homeless Housing Hits A Snag

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:31:11 -0400

From: Tent City  bigtentcity@yahoo.co.uk
To: William C. Tinker
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Homeless Housing Hits A Snag

Thanks for sending this item along, Bill. It seems despite Utopian ten-year
plans that leverage funding for paper-pushing bureaucrats, the dearth of
affordable low-income housing remains as building the needed housing wasn't
factored into those plans.

Here at Dignity we build houses as best we can and house ourselves one house
at a time. But we get no government funding to do this as the idea's
considered too radical or possibly sensible.

There's no point in waiting for the government to get its act together or
being anyone's collateral damage.

Peace, love.
Jack

"William C. Tinker" <wtinker@metrocast.net> wrote:
  http://wjz.com/localstories/local_story_192125935.html

  Homeless Housing Program Hits A Snag

  Jul 11, 2005

  Baltimore, MD. (AP) A program to house Baltimore's homeless regardless of
  drug addiction or mental illness has been hurt by a dearth of available
  low-income housing.

  City housing authorities had promised a small number of apartments to
  jump-start the program last week.

  But when it came time for outreach workers to bring homeless people in off
  the street, there was no place for them.

  Housing officials thought they'd have apartments available in a number of
  recently acquired rowhouses in the city's Barclay neighborhood.

  But officials say it's taking longer than expected to clean up and
renovate
  the houses.

  Housing officials say they are committed to getting the apartments ready
for
  the homeless but that it will take time.

  ( 2005 The Associated Press

I will always be on the side of those who have nothing and are not even
allowed to enjoy the nothing they have in peace.

--Frederico Garcia Lorca