[Hpn] REVOLVING DOORS ~MAXED OUT~RELEASED WITH NO PLACE TO GO OR PLANS

William C. Tinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 04:02:23 -0400

Maxed out, ERIC B. SMITH, Berlin - Letter

July 04. 2005

I have been an inmate at New Hampshire State Prison for most of the last 15
years. I was briefly being released on parole with intense supervision a
couple of times. I was made aware of the importance the parole board placed
on the stability of each of my paroled releases -employment, a stable place
to live, etc.

So much scrutiny was placed on my paroles that I thought it must come out of
an interest to the community into which a convicted felon was about to be
released.

Now I have nearly maxed my sentence out and will leave the prison free and
clear, unsupervised.
The importance of a stable release is of no concern to the prison system. I
and other inmates who max our sentences out are released with no halfway
house or financial help.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens when you take a
convicted felon off a cellblock and place him or her on the streets
homeless. The prison system is breeding crime and ignoring its obligation to
the public, much less the men and women who are being released into the
community with nothing more than a recommended list of homeless shelters.

I've had no luck getting the prison system to help in my release in October.
It's not something to look forward to, being thrown into society without
plans.

I guess I'm more fortunate than most who max their sentences out in that I
still have some family to lean on.

ERIC B. SMITH
Berlin,NH

Concord Monitor Online