[Hpn] HELP FOR THE HOMELESS,THERE AND HERE

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:47:09 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050228/clm010_1.html

Press Release Source: The Salvation Army

Help For The Homeless, There and Here! A Concert for Humanity To Benefit
Salvation Army Tsunami and Area Needy Families

Monday February 28, 2005

PITTSBURGH, Feb. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Late last year, flood waters ravaged
both Western Pennsylvania and South East Asia. Although the disasters were
thousands of miles apart by distance and culture, the resulting needs are
very much the same. Families are homeless both there and here, causing The
Salvation Army to juggle a very delicate balancing act, funding and
supporting both crises.
Thanks to a contingent of Pittsburgh-area musicians and community leaders,
both Tsunami victims and area homeless families will reap the benefits of a
multi-cultural, interracial, inclusive event. Slated for Tuesday, March
15th, at Al Dowe's on 9th in downtown Pittsburgh, "Help for the Homeless,
There and Here! A Concert for Humanity" is designed to bring all races,
cultures and music types together to celebrate the unique nature within all
of us, while helping others in need. The minimum entry donation of $25 per
person will be split evenly between tsunami relief and The Salvation Army's
downtown Pittsburgh Family Crisis Center and Shelter. Checks and credit
cards will be accepted at the door.
"We were delighted when two talented local entertainers and community
leaders approached The Salvation Army and offered their skills and support,"
said Lt. Colonel Joseph DeMichael, The Salvation Army's Western Pennsylvania
Divisional Leader. "Tim Stevens and Luther Dejarunett were moved by the
suffering seen in the media, immediately following the South East Asia
tsunami. But, they were also wise enough to ask The Salvation Army what type
of assistance we actually needed." DeMichael explained, "Although it's not
always a dramatic news event, there is suffering and need right here in our
own back yard on a daily basis. The 'Concert for Humanity' illustrates the
dual need for supporting our brothers and sisters overseas, without
forgetting our own, here at home."
Many people are eagerly donating their time and talents to make this
eight-hour festival come to life. From 5:00 pm until 1:00 am, the following
entertainers will be on hand to provide everything from emcee duties to top-
shelf musical entertainment: Joe Grushecky; Johnny Angel and the Halos;
Jimmy Sapienza and Five Guys Named Moe; French Burrito and the Folk Pistols;
Kenny Blake; Steve Trettle; Dwayne Dolphin; The Old School Band featuring
Luther Dejarunett and Flora Wilson; Keith Stebler; Anthony Crunk; Hakim
Rasheed; Natalie Hogan; Ken Karsh; Al Dowe and Etta Cox; Tommy Parker; Nino
Storm; Tim Jenkins; Brian Wright; Mark Strickland; Delphine Russell; Tarella
Mimidis; Salvation Army officer, Captain Lillita Davis; Walk By Faith; Tim
Stevens; Sandy Staley; Billy Mancini; Shawnee Lake; and poets KL and Ashley
Cole. Emcee duties will be handled by: former Mayor Sophie Masloff; Anji and
Brother Matt of WAMO Radio; WPXI-TV Channel 11's Darieth Chisolm; WDUQ
Radio's Tony Mowod and Bob Studebaker; KDKA-TV Channel 2's Patrice King
Brown; and Chris Moore of WQED-TV Channel 13 and KDKA Radio. Mayor Tom
Murphy will offer words of welcome and support.
Hollowood Music of McKees Rocks is graciously underwriting a wide array of
musical instruments and amplifiers. Al Dowe is donating his club, Al Dowe's
on 9th to host the event.
Funding is also being provided by "The Black and White Reunion," founded by
Tim Stevens following the death of Johnny Gammage. "We are deeply humbled by
the outreach and interest on the part of these participants," said Lt.
Colonel DeMichael. "My wife, Gladys, and I are now in our final year of
Salvation Army service. We have been continually amazed at the level of
generosity and support given to The Salvation Army by the people of Western
Pennsylvania."
Both a church and a social service organization, The Salvation Army is
active in more than 109 countries worldwide. Founded in London England in
1865, The Salvation Army is celebrating its 125th anniversary in the United
States. The 28-county Western Pennsylvania Division serves thousands of
needy families through a wide variety of diverse support programs. Their
downtown Pittsburgh Family Crisis Center and Shelter is unique to
Southwestern Pennsylvania in that it serves the entire family. Moms, dads
and children are kept together in an apartment-like setting that provides a
complete host of counseling, medical, dental and spiritual support services.
To learn more about The Salvation Army's Western Pennsylvania Division, log
on to  www.salvationarmy-wpa.org .

 Copyright  2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.