[Hpn] DOT CONTINUES HOMELESS SWEEP

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:14:33 -0500

www.thehawaiichannel.com/

DOT Continues Homeless Eviction Sweep

Homeless Forced To Leave Wahiawa Bridge

February 25, 2005

WAHIAWA, Oahu, Hawaii -- Officials Friday evicted a group of homeless people
living under a bridge in Wahiawa.
The homeless people were living beneath the bridge over Lake Wilson. The
Department of Transportation gave some 15 families two weeks notice to
leave, or be evicted.
Godfrey Kaowili was one of the few remaining Friday morning.
"I been down here three years, and I love it; by myself. (I) got my own
place," Kaowili said.
The DOT said it took the action because, for one thing, the area under the
bridge is its right of way and having the homeless there eventually became a
health and safety issue, especially when it came to drugs.
"Once we heard about the drug dealing and the drug use, and the kids running
around with the needles on the ground, we just said, 'We've got to draw the
line at some point,'" DOT spokesman Scott Ishikawa said.
Police helped Kaowili move his belongings from underneath the bridge. For
him, the space is still his home.
"I'm coming back. I don't care what they say. I'm coming back. After these
guys leave I'm coming back," he said.
Earlier this week, the DOT evicted homeless campers from an area near
Mokuleia Beach.

Copyright 2005 by www.TheHawaiiChannel.com All rights reserved.