[Hpn] SANTA CRUZ GETS 1.2 MILLION IN HOMELESS GRANTS and FACTOIDUS ATHE MAGNIFICIENT!

Steve Kudlak stevex11@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:58:41 -0800

William Charles Tinker wrote:

> The only problem is that only about 8 -10 cents on a dollar ever
> directly helps a homeless person as the rest is ate up by CoC and
> Shelter providers exspenses,so how can we ever end homelessness in Ten
> Years any where in this counrty?
> A Brother In The Struggle
> Bill
>

> ad bottom
>

>   Bay City News Wire
>

>       SANTA CRUZ COUNTY GETS $1.2 MILLION IN HOMELESS GRANTS
>
> /02/17/05 3:35 PST/
>
> Six Santa Cruz County organizations serving homeless people will
> receive a total of almost $1.2 million in grants from the national
> Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance program, which gave out a record
> $1.4 billion nationwide, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
> Development announced recently.
>
> Continuum of Care grants provide permanent and transitional housing to
> homeless persons, along with supporting job training, health care,
> mental health counseling, substance treatment and child care, the
> department reports.
>
> Santa Cruz County organizations received $1.18 million, of the more
> than $228 million granted to organizations within California.
>
> The largest amount of the counties grants went to Shelter Plus Care:
> Focusing on Mental Health, which received more than $500,000. Other
> organizations receiving grants include the Page Smith Community House,
> Brommer Street Transitional Housing, Homeless Management Information
> System, Clean and Sober Transitional Housing, and Scattered Site
> Transitional Housing.
>
> U.S. Rep. Sam Farr, D-Carmel, said the grants will help local agencies
> and the community as a whole.
>
> "Reaching out to and taking care of the homeless is critical to
> maintaining a healthy community,'' Farr said in a statement, "This
> funding will help Santa Cruz County meet the need for permanent
> supportive housing, aiding homeless individuals with serious mental
> illnesses, as well as continue transitional housing programs.''
>
> The grants, which have continued to increase over the last four years,
> are part of the department's goal to end chronic homelessness, the
> department reports.
>

> page bottom

WWhen people quote "magic numbers" like of "n dollars given to cause x
only .0n gets used for actually needs of the "blah blah blah". could
some please tell me where these little factoids some come from?  As far
as I can tell Santa Cruz deos bearably well with their homeless funds.
It helped myself and several other people I know become somewhat
homeful. A residential hotel is the nor the greartest place to live but
it is a start. As far as I know HPHP (Homeless Persons Healthcare Project
they try to do a good job. There are a few thintgs that I am
uincomforrtable with but overall it seems to work well and I live in a
sirtuation where I see this all up close.

Quouting depressing and unproven statistics only serves to depress
people further as far as I can tell. If there is some fix tht someone
thingsd would work please post it. I mean it would be nice if we could
get  10 times the amount and so the service amounts could go out. But I
know people who are surviving and not starving and that is a start. We
probably need a whole lot more. So it ould be a start.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve (one of the formerly homeless)