[Hpn] AN OPEN LETTER TO BURNT SIENNA

Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:33:28 -0500

From: "Jeremy Alderson" radio@lightlink.com

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 AN OPEN LETTER TO BURNT SIENNA
c/o Binney and Smith (Crayola)

 Dear Burnt Sienna,

 I am writing to ask for your help.  I was so impressed with the way you
were all over the TV when you announced your retirement from the crayon
box.  So I know you're somebody people notice and, unfortunately, I'm
not.  That's why I'm hoping you'll help me get a little attention for my
work.

 You see, I'm the guy who got the idea to do a national radio broadcast in
which we talk about poverty right here in the U.S. of A. and give a
voice to real homeless people, no, not a voice.  We don't give them a
voice.  We give them a microphone.

 You might think we've been successful, because we started out eight
years ago on one station, and this year we'll be on around 90, with
another 30 stations in Canada, where they've got their own broadcast
going on.  But, really, we must not be doing something right, because in
all this time, we haven't had one word about us in the national press.

 Burnt, if I may call you by your first name, Burnt, I can't offer you
anything for your help.  I just know that you're someone who loves
children, and you must be as anguished as I am to know that
children make up at least a third of the people without homes.  And
I want you to know that I really respect you, because you've dealt with
just about everything - schools, hospitals, even boardrooms --  and you've
never compromised.  Anyone who ever saw your work could take one look at
it and right away say, "Burnt Sienna."  Someday I hope they'll say that
about the Homelessness Marathon (that's the name of our broadcast).

 I'm just afraid you'll say you're too busy, because, after all, you
did come out of retirement, but that's half the reason you'd be the
perfect one to help us.  Because if an outcry from America could
get you to come out of retirement, surely an outcry from America could
get the homeless people into houses.

 Of course, I understand that you will want to check us out before making
a decision.  Our website is at http://www.homelessnessmarathon.org, but
please bear in mind that our next broadcast starts February 14th, so we
don't have much time.

 I want you to know one last thing.  Sometimes, when I'm frustrated
that I can't do more for all the people suffering in the streets, I think
about all the times you were snapped in half, stuffed up some kid's nose
or melted in the sun.  If you can do nothing else, please tell me, where
do you get the patience?

 Sincerely,

 Jeremy Weir Alderson
Director, Homelessness Marathon