[Hpn] Jodie Renee Collie 12,Found In Iowa

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:01:44 -0400

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/08/31/083105rmtcollie_lost_gir.html

Collie found in Iowa

By J. Eric Eckard, Rocky Mount Telegram

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A missing Rocky Mount girl was found Tuesday night in Des Moines, Iowa, but
authorities still are looking for her suspected abductor.

Jodie Renee Collie, 12, called home shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday, and Des
Moines police were sent to her location, police said.

"The hugest weight has been lifted off my shoulders," said Collie's mother,
Kim Baker. "All the prayers I've been praying have been answered. She's
safe, and she'll be back soon.

"I think we'll all be fighting to see who hugs her first. I don't think I'll
let her go for a couple of hours."

Collie vanished from her home this past Friday, and Amber Alerts were issued
for most of the Southeast and the Mexican border patrol.

Authorities issued warrants for Phillip Daniel Denkler, 27, of Deer Run
Drive, charging him with felony child abduction and probation violation.
Denkler is a registered sex offender who was convicted of taking indecent
liberties with a minor.

Rocky Mount police Capt. Marty McCoy did not reveal where Collie was when
she made a collect call home to her grandmother's house, saying that FBI
agents were on their way to Iowa to talk to Collie.

"From a visual perspective, she appears to be |OK," |McCoy |said. "We are
extremely satisfied Jodie has been found. She is now out of harm's way, and
she soon will be back en route to her family.

"I'd also like assure each and every citizen that every effort will be made
to locate the suspect, Phillip Daniel Denkler, and bring him back to
justice."

McCoy said FBI agents are expected to gather information about Denkler's
possible whereabouts after they talk to her in Iowa.

Denkler stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 150 pounds with short black hair and
brown eyes. Since, Collie's disappearance, authorities have been looking for
a stolen beige Hyundai Sonata with North Carolina license plates - either
NWN-2630 or PSA-2000.

McCoy credited both the FBI and the National Center for Missing and
Exploited Children for their assistance in trying to find Collie and
Denkler.

"Without their help and resources, the expediency of this investigation
would have been retarded," McCoy said.

He also thanked the callers who phoned in tips throughout the country, as
well as the media that featured the story on Web sites, on television and in
print. National media outlets featured the abduction Tuesday night after
authorities held a news conference earlier in the day.

"We have literally blanketed the country with pictures of (Collie and
Denkler)," FBI Special Agent Kevin Kendrick said during the news conference.
"Anytime you have a child of tender years who is either taken or accompanies
someone who is a registered sex offender, it's something that deserves the
attention of our resources."

Collie's grandmother, Dorothy Collie, made a tearful plea during the news
conference for Jodie to call home. It was unclear at presstime whether the
girl saw the appeal from her grandmother before she called.

"I want her home," Dorothy Collie said hours before the call was made. "I
feel like she's afraid, and I feel like she wants to come home."

Now that Jodie has been found safe, authorities are expected to continue
their search for Denkler. A nationwide alert for his arrest has been issued.

Anyone with information about Denkler's whereabouts can call Rocky Mount
police at 252- 972-1411, the Twin County Crime Stoppers at 252-977-1111, the
FBI office in Charlotte at 704-377-9200 or 911.

William Charles Tinker

New Hampshire Homeless  / Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640  USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org