[Hpn] INVITATION TO ATTEND A HOMELESS CONVENTION

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:36:39 -0400

We invite you to attend a Homeless Convention sponsored by Community
Homeless Alliance Ministry (CHAM) and First Christian Church on Friday,
September 9, 2005. The Convention will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at
First Christian Church in San Jose, with breakfast and lunch provided before
and after. The Convention is for the homeless and all concerned people.

Santa Clara County counted 7646 homeless people in one night last December,
including over 1000 children. Our county, one of the richest in the nation,
now has the largest homeless population in the Bay Area and in all of
Northern California. There has been no reduction in homelessness here since
the last survey in 1999.

The purpose of this convention is to "make the invisible visible", as Martin
Luther King once said. Ending homelessness in San Jose and Santa Clara
County is especially difficult, because it is hidden and therefore appears
less urgent than in cities such as San Francisco. But just because San
Jose's
homeless are less visible, and include more children, does not mean the cost
in human suffering and social demoralization is less.

Our aim is to give homeless people a human face and a voice, and educate
ourselves, policy makers, and the community about the burning issues faced
by the poorest residents of Santa Clara County. Homeless people will be
given an opportunity to learn about and give feedback on the County's
recently adopted 10-year plan to end chronic homelessness, as well as offer
their own testimony and resolutions.

This Convention has been endorsed by the Santa Clara County Collaborative on
Affordable Housing and Homeless Issues. Federal, State, and local elected
officials from our downtown district, as well as those involved in the
10-year plan, have all been invited.

WHAT:          HOMELESS CONVENTION
WHEN:          9 A.M. TO NOON, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9

WHERE:          FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 80 S. FIFTH

STREET, SAN JOSE

CHAM is a member of the California Poor People's Economic Human Rights
Campaign.