[Hpn] More Re: OT: Study: Severely mentally ill more likely victims than perpetrators of violence; Abstract & Press Release

Morgan W. Brown Morgan W. Brown" <morganbrown@gmail.com
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:59:44 -0700

In addition, fyi:

-------Forwarded blog post excerpts-------

Found at:

August 02, 2005
Schizophrenia Daily News Blog
Mentally Ill At High Risk To Be Victims of Crime
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/002203.html

[...]

Editorial: Violence and the Mentally Ill
Victims, Not Perpetrators
In an editorial accompanying the article, Leon Eisenberg, M.D., of
Harvard Medical School, Boston, writes, "Stigma against mental illness
turns the world on its head. Blaming the victims rationalizes neglect
and maltreatment. In the public mind, violence is associated with
mental illness. Yes, there is a strong association, but the direction
of causality is the reverse of common belief: persons who are
seriously mentally ill are far more likely to be the victims of
violence than its initiators. The evidence produced by Linda Teplin et
al settles the matter beyond question."

Dr. Eisenberg points out that although life in the community is
precarious for persons with serious mental illness, institutions also
have safety issues and most persons with severe mental illness express
a preference for community living. "What should be done?" Dr.
Eisenberg writes. "Teplin and colleagues make thoughtful
recommendations. For patient care, they propose systematic screening
and monitoring patients for victimization (commonly not reported to
case managers), implementing skill-based prevention programs to help
patients learn to minimize risk, and interventions to reduce
revictimization. At a policy level, they call for building
collaborative relationships between the mental health and criminal
justice systems and advocacy for improved housing."

"These proposals are on target but do not go far enough," Dr.
Eisenberg concludes. "The underlying lesson is that the neighborhoods
in which patients are forced to live because of limited income are
what make them so vulnerable. Patients with severe mental illness who
live in urban slums are victimized by 'legal' criminals as well:
moneylenders who charge exorbitant interest rates, hotel keepers who
demand bribes for rooms, bullies who accost them for money when
Supplementary Security Income checks are issued, and police who do not
defend them. The aggregation of persons who are seriously mentally ill
in urban areas that are not safe for any inhabitants, let alone for
those at cognitive disadvantage, is why rates of victimization are so
high."

Commentaries

Violence and the Mentally Ill: Victims, Not Perpetrators
Leon Eisenberg
Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:825-826.
EXTRACT: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/62/8/825

FULL TEXT: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/62/8/825

PDF: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/62/8/825

distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a
prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------

Morgan  morganbrown@gmail.com
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA
Norsehorse's Home Turf:
http://norsehorses-turf.blogspot.com

Chat Live & Privately (i.e., one on one) with Morgan:
http://norsehorse.chatango.com
(whenever I am online and logged into Chatango anyway)

On 8/2/05, Morgan W. Brown <morganbrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> Possibly Off-Topic; yet still related
>
> -------Forwarded FYI-------
>
> Teplin LA, McClelland GM, Abram KM, Weiner DA. Crime Victimization in
> Adults with Severe Mental Illness: Comparison with the National Crime
> Victimization Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry. (Vol. 62 No. 8,
> August 2005; 62:911-921)
>
> Study Abstract:
> http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/8/911
>

> Crime Victimization in Adults With Severe Mental Illness
> Comparison With the National Crime Victimization Survey
>
> Linda A. Teplin, PhD; Gary M. McClelland, PhD; Karen M. Abram, PhD;
> Dana A. Weiner, PhD
>

> Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:911-921.

-snip, snip, snip--