[Hpn] Protesters arrested at squatting action in Halifax

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:57:10 -0500

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/27/protests-halifax041127.html

Halifax homelessness protest turns violent
Last Updated Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:23:04 EST

HALIFAX - Police arrested eight protesters Saturday afternoon after a
rally demanding additional shelter for the city's homeless turned violent.

Those arrested were among 40 people occupying a vacant city-owned
building, which they want used to house the city's homeless.

The building, once used as library and later a museum, has sat empty for
two years.

"We've made it known that we want to work with various levels of
government and other community organizations to turn this building into
adequate, affordable and long term housing," said Cole Webber, a member
of the Halifax Coalition Against Poverty.

The city maintains that the building is unsafe and requested police
remove the protesters. They disagree with city officials, claiming the
building is habitable.

Saturday's protesters, ambivalent to the presence of 30 officers, had
said they wouldn't leave the building until the city changed its mind on
the matter.

The protest was brought to an end when police broke through the
building's doors and barricades.

The Halifax Coalition Against Poverty says it plans to continue its
fight for affordable housing by holding similar protests at 30 other
empty government-owned buildings.

Written by CBC News Online staff