[Hpn] "Remembering the forgotten"

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:02:04 -0500

 Click here to read this story online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1118/p18s01-hfcs.html

 Headline:  Remembering the forgotten
Byline:
Date: 11/18/2004

 I've been ministering to the homeless almost every week for the past
four years, providing food, clothing, blankets, and, I hope, spiritual
 nourishment.

 One man, who was very large, was unapproachable for some weeks; he
 snarled when I went close and offered him food. For several weeks I
 prayed about this, seeing him in his perfection as a child of God and
 not accepting belligerence as any part of the man God created.

 One day when I saw him again, he seemed especially forlorn. I sat a few
 feet away and remained silent for a while. I was praying - praying to
 see this man in his true light. I recalled the Bible saying, "This is
 my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matt. 3:17). I was led to
 say to him, "You know, God is Love, and although you might not realize
 it at the moment, you are loved."

 He suddenly swung around, and I thought he was going to strike me. Then
 he said, "Did you say the word love?" I replied, "I did." He said, "No
 one has ever said that word to me." I saw a tear start down his cheek.

 I put my arm around his shoulders, and his head fell on my shoulder. He
 was crying almost uncontrollably. He pulled way, apologizing. I said it
 was OK. His story came out. He had never known his parents; he had been
 abused as a child, gotten into drugs and crime, been in prison.

 I shared thoughts with him about healing, of how I saw him as God's
 child, that he was loved, that he could never be separated from divine
 Love. When I left, he was peaceful, grateful, almost joyful. I never
 saw that man again but have continued to keep him in thought.

 A few weeks ago I met a man who told me this was his first day on the
 streets as a homeless person. The previous evening as he slept on a
 park bench, he had been robbed of his possessions. I shared what I
 could with him, food and clothing.

 We spoke for some time, and I assured him that he was being taken care
 of right at that moment, that God's care is forever active, and as we
 learn to listen and put out of thought all our troubles, ideas occur,
 and from these ideas a way opens up. I shared with him my own
 experience of facing bankruptcy, and how by humbly turning to God in
 prayer a way did open.

 His crying changed to a demeanor of profound gratitude. When I saw him
 some 30 minutes later, he was engrossed in reading "Science and Health
 with Key to the Scriptures" by Mary Baker Eddy, a book I had given him.

 Another man I see occasionally is one whom I've named Phil the
 philosopher. He told me he has a college degree and is a dedicated
 Bible student, owning four different translations. He writes sermons
 for a local church minister. We've had discussions on theology.

 There have been many instances like these, and I have also seen
 brotherhood and caring and sharing among the homeless. I've witnessed
 healing and have seen lives turned around, some individuals starting
 small businesses, some being united with family again, even returning
 to college.

 The homeless are often considered the "invisible" folk you see lying in
 doorways or begging at street corners, the shelter denizens, the street
 dwellers, the hoboes. But each of these individuals is a real person,
 an idea of God, a distinct identity. They want some recognition, even a
 nod or a smile. And a hug goes a long way.

 Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan often makes me stop and ponder.
 The priest and Levite passed by on the other side, but the Samaritan,
 through his love, attended to the man's needs, even going the extra
 mile.

 This is National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. It may be not
 just for the homeless but for each of us. We can consider how we might
 do something for them, including praying to God for answers.

 My people shall dwell
 in a peaceable habitation,
 and in sure dwellings,
 and in quiet resting places.

 Isaiah 32:18

 (c) Copyright 2004 The Christian Science Monitor.  All rights reserved.

 Click here to email this story to a friend:
 http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2004/1118/p18s01-hfcs.txt

 The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing
context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and
cultures, and social trends.  Online at http://www.csmonitor.com