[Hpn] Army's kettle offensive is bigger but off Target

wtinker@metrocast.net wtinker@metrocast.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:48:35 -0800 (PST)

This story was sent to you by: William Tinker

--------------------
Army's kettle offensive is bigger but off Target
--------------------

November 14, 2004

CHICAGO -- Look for more kettles than ever in Chicago this winter.

This week, the Salvation Army plans to roll out its trademark bell-ringing campaign at more locations than in past years--malls, grocery stores, anywhere but in front of Target stores.

The annual fundraiser, which starts Friday, is trying to make up the difference from a recent decision by Target Corp. to bar ringers outside its 1,313 U.S. stores. The discount giant said having the Salvation Army there brought on a deluge of requests from other fundraisers.

Salvation Army officials say the expulsion could cost the charity $9 million nationwide--more than $440,000 in Chicago alone.

The donations collected during each holiday season fund much of the charity's services throughout the year, including day care for homeless children, toys for underprivileged children and vouchers for Christmas meals.

While some area Armies are turning to the Internet, Chicago officers are asking their foot soldiers to cover more ground.

"While we love every avenue of giving, there's nothing quite like the personal touch of the red kettle. There's something about seeing a poor freezing volunteer out there ringing a bell," said Cliff Marshall, a spokesman for the Army's Northern Illinois command. "We're doing everything we can to beef up the kettle campaign."

Meanwhile, merchants have stepped up to the kettle as well. Ringers will stand sentry at all of the area Dominick's and almost all of the entrances of major shopping malls.

Copyright (c) 2004, Chicago Tribune