[Hpn] THIS WEEK: Housing Takeover!

Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:14:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "OCAP" ocap@tao.ca

November 08, 2004

 OCAP HOUSING TAKEOVER- THIS SATURDAY

 We Need your Support to Takeover and Open-up Housing this Week!
Come out this Saturday ready to spend the weekend

 Saturday November 13th
2:00pm
Meet at All Saints Church
on the south-east corner of Dundas and Sherbourne

 What do these addresses have in common?

 Doctor's Hospital
399 King St. E.
88-90 Carlton St.
53 Dundas St. E. (Mission Press)
1510 King St. W. (Pope Squat)
213 Parliament St.
558 Gerrard St. E. (Gatekeeper Squat)

 They're all abandoned buildings that OCAP has taken over in the fight for
housing. One forced the opening of a homeless shelter, another was turned
into housing for seniors, another became a squat with 25 residents for
over 3 months, and still another forced a politician to sign away his
federal seat in the House of Commons!

 The Fight for Affordable Housing Must and Will Continue

The time for waiting on governments to take action on ending poverty in
Ontario has long been over. We must begin to meet the needs of poor people
and communities ourselves. Last month, OCAP began to answer to the crisis
of hunger in this city by taking and redistributing $3500 worth of food.
On November 13, we will begin to deal with the province-wide housing
crisis by opening new housing, putting into use a building that sits empty
and idle because of government and private developer greed.

 If you can please come prepared with:

 - Warm clothes
- Tools for renovations
- Couches