[Hpn] With what you priests been doing this is enough to P.O. the POPE!

Sat, 22 May 2004 05:48:32 -0400

Homeless man convicted of urinating into holy water at cathedral

The Associated Press

May 22, 2004

A homeless man was convicted of urinating into fonts of holy water and
shoving a priest at a Roman Catholic cathedral.

Joseph Canty, 27, was convicted Friday of institutional vandalism, defiant
trespass, harassment, and simple assault in a nonjury trial before Common
Pleas Court Judge Rose Marie DeFino-Nastasi.

Monsignor John Close said Canty had been harassing worshippers for a year at
the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul adjacent to the Philadelphia
archdiocesan headquarters in Center City. Last fall, he said, Canty rammed
his shoulder into Close outside the church.

On March 11, Close said, he saw Canty by a font of holy water.

"I thought, what is he doing there?" Close testified. "It looked to me as if
someone were standing at a urinal." A short time later, he said, an employee
saw that the water in two basins had been polluted.

Detective James Seymour said Canty said he was angry at the priests because
they kept asking him to leave.
Assistant District Attorney Eileen Hurley said that when Canty is sentenced
July 14, she would ask for him to be sentenced to a secure facility with
mental health treatment.
___
Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer   http://www.philly.com

Copyright  1995 - 2004 PowerOne Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.