[Hpn] [ocap] Raise The Rates Organizing & OCAP Social

Fri, 14 May 2004 15:26:02 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: OCAP
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004
Subject: [ocap] Raise The Rates Organizing & OCAP Social

Raise the Rates Toronto Organizing

Over the coming weeks and months OCAP and our allies across the province
will be acting to force the new Liberal government to issue a 40% increase
to Welfare and Disability Rates in Ontario.  Already we have taken the
fight to the home of the Minister of Social Services in Toronto and across
the province actions are targeting government officials and those who
profit off our poverty.  In order to make this fight successful we will
need to organize welfare office by welfare office, neighbourhood by
neighbourhood across Toronto to make it impossible for the Liberals to
continue ruling on the backs of social assistance recipients.  On June 11
we will take it to welfare offices across Toronto and across the province.
To prepare for these community actions we will be hosting a series of
meetings across the city over the next month.  If you are interested in
getting involved in the campaign come out to the meeting in your
neighbourhood or contact us to help set up a meeting in your area at 416
925-6939.

Wednesday May 19- 220 Oak St. Community Room (south of Gerrard off River)6pm

Wednesday May 26- All Saints Church (corner of Dundas and Sherbourne)6pm

Thursday May 27- Masaryk Cowan Park (on Cowan south of Queen)6pm in the
event of rain-Parkdale Library 1303 Queen W.

Tuesday June 1- Agincourt Library (155 Bonis Av.- north of Sheppard, near
Birchmount)-7pm

***

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty Invites
Members and Supporters to a Social Event
with Bob Snider & Kyp Harness
Fred Spek and his Jazz Campers
Plus, various DJs

Friday 28 May