[Hpn] BOMB SCARE IN BROOKLYN

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:20:28 -0400

www.newyorkpostonline.com

BROOKLYN BOMB SCARE

July 14, 2004 -- A 48-year-old homeless man threw a Brooklyn neighborhood
into chaos yesterday, kneeling on a cushion and displaying what looked like
a bomb strapped to his body.

But the device turned out to be just a clock, pan and other junk affixed to
the man's fanny pack.

The bizarre incident began unfolding at about 3:35 p.m., when Abdul Naeem
placed a cushion from a couch on the sidewalk at Court Street and Atlantic
Avenue in Downtown Brooklyn and flashed the fake bomb, hidden under his
shirt, to a passer-by. The pedestrian called cops, who cordoned off several
blocks for nearly an hour.
Bomb Squad cops restrained the man and removed the device.

Abdul Kumandan, who owns an Indian restaurant on the block, said he thought
the man "was just a beggar sitting there.

"He had a bunch of junk around him," said Kumandan. "I paid him no mind
because I thought he was a beggar." Denise Buffa

 NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM
are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc. Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc. All
rights reserved.