[Hpn] Universal Living Wage article

RRTroxell@aol.com RRTroxell@aol.com
Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:06:00 -0400 (EDT)

--Boundary_(ID_u+srGr5Pj24s1yhw33q7FA)

Hi, Please feel free to publish.
Thanks,
Richard

Universal Living Wage

 The Universal Living Wage is a national grass roots initiative to fix the
federal minimum wage.  Using existing government guidelines, we've devised a
single national formula that is based on the moral premise that anyone working a
forty hour week should be able to afford basic rental housing wherever that
work is done throughout the United States.  We are sure that based on the
government statistic that 42% of the homeless are working at some point during the
week;  that upon passage, over 1,000,000 minimum wage workers will be able to
work themselves off the streets of America almost immediately.

 However, we now believe in the more  expensive urban areas (i.e. New York,
Washington D.C., Santa Cruz, CA, etc.) where the cost to get into an efficiency
apartment averages between $13 and $14 per hour, business would be asked to
make too great a financial adjustment over too short a period of time.

 At the same time, there is also a problem with the approach of incrementally
raising the minimum wage over a three year period to $7.15 per hour as was
just passed in New York or as is being suggested by Senator Edward Kennedy and
Presidential Candidate John Kerry who are calling for $1.50 increase over three
years.  In so doing, we would never truly advance the base wage due to
inflationary pressures.  This will be especially true as we enter into a strong
inflationary period with oil prices already at $44.00 per barrel and expected to
hit $50.00 per barrel by the fall.  By pursuing the current practice of raising
the wage only part way over and over again, we will never achieve our goal of
creating a wage that matches the cost of living.  It is like finding a man in
a twenty foot well, throwing him a ten foot piece of rope and telling him to
hold on while you work on getting some more rope.

 However, if we can incorporate both concerns, we can achieve both goals in a
mutually agreeable fashion and to the benefit of both business and the
employee.  To this end, we've devised a simple ten year transitional plan that moves
us to a wage that indexes to housing and ensures that anyone willing/able to
work a 40 hour week will be able to do so while limiting most employer
increases nationwide to little more than $1.00 per year during the adjustment period.
 In most cities it will be substantially less.

ULW Ten Year Transition  Plan:

 Over the next ten years, the federal minimum wage will be increased, first
by one tenth of the amount needed to afford basic rental housing in accordance
with the ULW standard found at www.UniversalLivingWage.org.  This will be
repeated during each remaining year based on the number of years remaining, until
the wage reaches the Universal Living Wage goal in each geographic area as set
forth by using the HUD Fair Market Rents.  If at any point, the remainder to
be increased over the ten year intervals reduces to $.50/hour, the wage will
be increased by that remaining amount in the following year.   From then on,
the wage will index to the local cost of housing using the ULW Formula.

 Clearly from reading our document "Globalization and Labor," found on our
website; it can be seen that not only does this proposal provide: ready,
willing, and stabilized workers, it also saves tax payers and businesses tens of
billions of dollars each year with bureaucracy reduction and averted job
retraining costs.

 The Universal Living Wage Campaign is now  endorsed by millions of
registered voters comprised of unions, non-profits, religious organizations, and
businesses.  Encourage your organization to endorse this campaign on line at
www.UniversalLivingWage.org.  Together, we can end homelessness for over 1,000,000
homeless minimum wage workers.  Endorse today!  Be proactive.  We can't just
talk about homelessness, we must act to end it!

Richard R. Troxell
Universal Living Wage
National Chairman

--Boundary_(ID_u+srGr5Pj24s1yhw33q7FA)

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Hi, Please feel free to publish.</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Richard</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><U>Universal Living Wage</U></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;The Universal Living Wage is a national grass roots initiativ=
e to fix the federal minimum wage.&nbsp; Using existing government guideline=
s, we've devised a single national formula that is based on the moral premis=
e that anyone working a forty hour week should be able to afford basic renta=
l housing wherever that work is done throughout the United States.&nbsp; We=20=
are sure that based on the government statistic that 42% of the homeless are=
 working at some point during the week;&nbsp; that upon passage, over 1,000,=
000 minimum wage workers will be able to work themselves off the streets of=20=
America almost immediately.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;However, we now believe in the more&nbsp; expensive urban areas (=
i.e. New York, Washington D.C., Santa Cruz, CA, etc.) where the cost to get=20=
into an efficiency apartment averages between $13 and $14 per hour, business=
 would be asked to make too great a financial adjustment over too short a pe=
riod of time.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;At the same time, there is also a problem with the approach of in=
crementally raising the minimum wage over a three year period to $7.15 per h=
our as was just passed in New York or as is being suggested by Senator Edwar=
d Kennedy and Presidential Candidate John Kerry who are calling for $1.50 in=
crease over three years.&nbsp; In so doing, we would never truly advance the=
 base wage due to inflationary pressures.&nbsp; This will be especially true=
 as we enter into a strong inflationary period with oil prices already at $4=
4.00 per barrel and expected to hit $50.00 per barrel by the fall.&nbsp; By=20=
pursuing the current practice of raising the wage only part way over and ove=
r again, we will never achieve our goal of creating a wage that matches the=20=
cost of living.&nbsp; It is like finding a man in a twenty foot well, throwi=
ng him a ten foot piece of rope and telling him to hold on while you work on=
 getting some more rope.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;However, if we can incorporate both concerns, we can achieve both=
 goals in a mutually agreeable fashion and to the benefit of both business a=
nd the employee.&nbsp; To this end, we've devised a simple ten year transiti=
onal plan that moves us to a wage that indexes to housing and ensures that a=
nyone willing/able to work a 40 hour week will be able to do so while limiti=
ng most employer increases nationwide to little more than $1.00 per year dur=
ing the adjustment period.&nbsp; In most cities it will be substantially les=
s.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>ULW Ten Year Transition&nbsp; Plan:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;Over the next ten years, the federal minimum wage will be increas=
ed, first by one tenth of the amount needed to afford basic rental housing i=
n accordance with the ULW standard found at <A href=3D"http://www.UniversalL=
ivingWage.org">www.UniversalLivingWage.org</A>.&nbsp; This will be repeated=20=
during each remaining year based on the number of years remaining, until the=
 wage reaches the Universal Living Wage goal in each geographic area as set=20=
forth by using the HUD Fair Market Rents.&nbsp; If at any point, the remaind=
er to be increased over the ten year intervals reduces to $.50/hour, the wag=
e will be increased by that remaining amount in the following year.&nbsp;&nb=
sp; From then on, the wage will index to the local cost of housing using the=
 ULW Formula. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;Clearly from reading our document "Globalization and Labor," foun=
d on our website; it can be seen that not only does this proposal provide: r=
eady, willing, and stabilized workers, it also saves tax payers and business=
es tens of billions of dollars each year with bureaucracy reduction and aver=
ted job retraining costs.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;The Universal Living Wage Campaign is now&nbsp; endorsed by milli=
ons of registered voters comprised of unions, non-profits, religious organiz=
ations, and businesses.&nbsp; Encourage your organization to endorse this ca=
mpaign on line at <A href=3D"http://www.UniversalLivingWage.org">www.Univers=
alLivingWage.org</A>.&nbsp; Together, we can end homelessness for over 1,000=
,000 homeless minimum wage workers.&nbsp; Endorse today!&nbsp; Be proactive.=
&nbsp; We can't just talk about homelessness, we must act to end it!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Richard R. Troxell<BR>Universal Living Wage<BR>National Chairman</DIV><=
/BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_u+srGr5Pj24s1yhw33q7FA)--