[Hpn] five bucks a night

joe reynolds jos_reyn@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

--0-17492397-1064890500=:84716

 Well, cheaper than a hotel but my gods ! What is this, welcome to America under the Bushes?

U.S. National - APKy. Homeless Charged for Shelter Stays

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The city's Salvation Army chapter is charging homeless families $5 a night if they stay at its downtown shelter for more than a week, an apparently unprecedented change that has angered some homeless advocates.

The Louisville organization started the fee this month as an incentive to pull people out of homelessness, said Maj. John Tolan, the agency's director of social services. Some people have been staying for months at the shelter, he said.

The National Coalition for the Homeless and the national Salvation Army in Arlington, Va., knew of no other shelters nationwide that charge families, although some charge individuals.

"It's something we don't agree to, wouldn't support," said Donald Whitehead, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based coalition.

Some homeless advocates are urging the Salvation Army to reverse its policy.

"This is totally unacceptable. It's pathetic," said Marlene Gordon, executive director of the Coalition for the Homeless, which coordinates services among 25 shelters in Louisville and southern Indiana.

Theresa Whitfield, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army's national headquarters, said local Salvation Army corps make their own decisions about charging for services.

Although the new policy comes as the Louisville Salvation Army copes with a budget crisis that forced it to lay off 12 workers earlier this year, Tolan said the fee is not tied to finances. The charge is well below the $20 to $30 it costs to house and feed a person for one night, he said.

Families are permitted to stay without charge for seven nights in the 12-family shelter. After that, they must begin paying $5 per family at the door each night and meet with a counselor to discuss becoming self-sufficient.

"We are trying to make (families) aware that when they move out of shelter, they need to have a plan," he said.

Tolan said families who can't pay won't be turned away and can earn additional free nights if they show they are working to improve their lives. The shelter also makes exceptions for as people who are disabled or mentally ill.

"We're not putting families out on the street," Tolan said.

The Louisville organization implemented a $5 charge for individuals several years ago.

--0-17492397-1064890500=:84716

<DIV><STRONG>&nbsp;Well, cheaper than a hotel but my gods&nbsp;! What is this, welcome to America under the Bushes?</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width=750>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=5></TD>
<TD class=article width=585>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=2 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=sectiontitle>U.S. National - AP</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD height=8></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%">
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD class=article width=420>
<DIV class=storyheadline>Ky. Homeless Charged for Shelter Stays </DIV>
<P><!-- TextStart --><FONT size=-1><I></I></FONT>
<P>LOUISVILLE, Ky. - <FONT face=arial size=-1>The city's Salvation Army chapter is charging homeless families $5 a night if they stay at its downtown shelter for more than a week, an apparently unprecedented change that has angered some homeless advocates. </FONT>
<P>
<TABLE align=left border=0 cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=0 width="1%">
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="99%"></TD>
<TD width=5>&nbsp;</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FONT face=arial size=-1>
<P>The Louisville organization started the fee this month as an incentive to pull people out of homelessness, said Maj. John Tolan, the agency's director of social services. Some people have been staying for months at the shelter, he said.
<P>
<P>The National Coalition for the Homeless and the national Salvation Army in Arlington, Va., knew of no other shelters nationwide that charge families, although some charge individuals.
<P>
<P>"It's something we don't agree to, wouldn't support," said Donald Whitehead, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based coalition.
<P>
<P>Some homeless advocates are urging the Salvation Army to reverse its policy.
<P>
<P>"This is totally unacceptable. It's pathetic," said Marlene Gordon, executive director of the Coalition for the Homeless, which coordinates services among 25 shelters in Louisville and southern Indiana.
<P>
<P>Theresa Whitfield, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army's national headquarters, said local Salvation Army corps make their own decisions about charging for services.
<P>
<P>Although the new policy comes as the Louisville Salvation Army copes with a budget crisis that forced it to lay off 12 workers earlier this year, Tolan said the fee is not tied to finances. The charge is well below the $20 to $30 it costs to house and feed a person for one night, he said.
<P>
<P>Families are permitted to stay without charge for seven nights in the 12-family shelter. After that, they must begin paying $5 per family at the door each night and meet with a counselor to discuss becoming self-sufficient.
<P>
<P>"We are trying to make (families) aware that when they move out of shelter, they need to have a plan," he said.
<P>
<P>Tolan said families who can't pay won't be turned away and can earn additional free nights if they show they are working to improve their lives. The shelter also makes exceptions for as people who are disabled or mentally ill.
<P>
<P>"We're not putting families out on the street," Tolan said.
<P>
<P>The Louisville organization implemented a $5 charge for individuals several years ago. </P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-17492397-1064890500=:84716--