[Hpn] re: mental health treatment or jail?

under-the-bridge@juno.com under-the-bridge@juno.com
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:30:01 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_FecGwBpF5aLqzDAA/HL/Dg)

 Today's Manchester Crime Watch /Headline/ Man arrested after window
broken at Elliot Hospital
Questions to ask yourself  as you read this article below:
What does this incident  say about the criminalization of the homeless?
Or of the mentally ill?
Why didn’t he (Jason) get treatment if he was “a danger to himself or
others”?
Does he fit the category “in need of services”?
What does the assessment process at the hospital mean if they assessed
that he was not a danger to him self yet he threw a brick through a
window?
Was he refused services because he was homeless?
Did he have insurance?
Was he fine to stay outside in the community?
Was he faking that he couldn’t get along in the community?
Why are the community mental health services so hard to access that
someone feels they need to go to extremes in order to get some kind of
attention and/or treatment?
Why is he or anyone else homeless in the wealthiest country?
Was he released from the New Hampshire State Hospital into homelessness?
What does that say about discharge planning?
Why aren’t there many community supports such as "housing first" programs
so that people can work out their other issues and gain stability?
Why do people look so heavily at actions or symptoms, as if they are
character flaws? Mental illness is a serious illness, which affects
millions of Americans.

And perhaps there are a bunch of other questions that we should be asking
ourselves?

Manchester Crime Watch
The Union Leader
Wednesday September 10, 2003
Page B2

A homeless man was arrested Monday night after he broke a window at the
emergency room entrance of Elliot Hospital with a cinder block when he
was not hospitalized, police said.
“What will it take for me to get admitted, go and break a window?” is
what Jason Newton, 32, allegedly told hospital staff after he was
examined and told he was being discharged.
Yesterday, Newton was arraigned in Manchester District Court on a felony
criminal mischief charge. Bail was set at $500 cash or surety with a
probable cause hearing set for Sept. 22.
“I went there because I was suicidal,” Newton told Judge Norman
Champagne. “They would not listen to me. They thought I was fooling.”
He said he was thinking of throwing himself off a parking garage or
taking an overdose of heroin.
“I need some help. I need some help” he said.
Police said at 11:27 pm Monday, Newton threw a cinder block through a
3-by-4-foot emergency room window, shattering it.
As a result, four patients brought to the hospital by ambulance were
delayed in entering the emergency room, police said.
Officer Charles J. Panica, in his sworn affidavit on file in court, said
the delay happened because ambulance attendants had to cautiously
maneuver through and over shards of glass.
Police said Newton was seen in the emergency room for both pain and
possible mental health issues. Medical personnel decided to discharge
him.
In court, he told Judge Champagne that he needed help, had a hard time
functioning in the community and wanted to go back to New Hampshire State
Hospital.
“You’re asking me for help” Champagne told him. “I’m a judge not a
psychiatrist.”
The judge told him that if he does not post bail, he would be detained in
jail.
“I guess the jail could transfer you to a mental facility if that’s what
you care to do”, Champagne said.

--Boundary_(ID_FecGwBpF5aLqzDAA/HL/Dg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=0 leftMargin=3 rightMargin=3
topMargin=0><STRONG>&nbsp;Today's</STRONG> <B>Manchester Crime Watch /Headline/
Man arrested after window broken at Elliot Hospital</B>
<P class=MsoBodyText>Questions to ask yourself&nbsp; as you read this article
below:</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText>What does this incident&nbsp;&nbsp;say about the
criminalization of the homeless? Or of the mentally ill?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Why didn&#8217;t he (Jason) get treatment if he was &#8220;a danger to
himself or others&#8221;? </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Does he fit the category &#8220;in need of services&#8221;?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>What does the assessment process at the hospital mean if they
assessed that he was not a danger to him self yet he threw a brick through a
window? </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Was he refused services because he was homeless?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Did he have insurance? </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Was he fine to stay outside in the community? </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Was he faking that he couldn&#8217;t get along in the
community?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Why are the community mental health services so hard to
access that someone feels they need to go to extremes in order to get some kind
of attention and/or treatment?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Why is he or anyone else homeless in the wealthiest
country?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Was he released from the New Hampshire State Hospital into
homelessness?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>What does that say about discharge planning?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Why aren&#8217;t there many community supports such as "housing
first" programs so that people can work out their other issues and gain
stability?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Why do people look so heavily at actions or symptoms, as if
they are character flaws? Mental illness is a serious illness, which affects
millions of Americans. </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>And perhaps there are a bunch of other questions that we
should be asking ourselves?</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><B>Manchester Crime Watch<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><B>The Union Leader <o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><B>Wednesday September 10, 2003<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><B>Page B2<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>A homeless man was arrested Monday night after he broke a
window at the emergency room entrance of Elliot Hospital with a cinder block
when he was not hospitalized, police said.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&#8220;What will it take for me to get admitted, go and break a
window?&#8221; is what Jason Newton, 32, allegedly told hospital staff after he was
examined and told he was being discharged.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Yesterday, Newton was arraigned in Manchester District Court
on a felony criminal mischief charge. Bail was set at $500 cash or surety with a
probable cause hearing set for Sept. 22.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&#8220;I went there because I was suicidal,&#8221; Newton told Judge
Norman Champagne. &#8220;They would not listen to me. They thought I was fooling.&#8221;</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>He said he was thinking of throwing himself off a parking
garage or taking an overdose of heroin.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&#8220;I need some help. I need some help&#8221; he said.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Police said at 11:27 pm Monday, Newton threw a cinder block
through a 3-by-4-foot emergency room window, shattering it.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>As a result, four patients brought to the hospital by
ambulance were delayed in entering the emergency room, police said.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Officer Charles J. Panica, in his sworn affidavit on file in
court, said the delay happened because ambulance attendants had to cautiously
maneuver through and over shards of glass. </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Police said Newton was seen in the emergency room for both
pain and possible mental health issues. Medical personnel decided to discharge
him. </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>In court, he told Judge Champagne that he needed help, had a
hard time functioning in the community and wanted to go back to New Hampshire
State Hospital.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&#8220;You&#8217;re asking me for help&#8221; Champagne told him. &#8220;I&#8217;m a judge
not a psychiatrist.&#8221;</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>The judge told him that if he does not post bail, he would be
detained in jail.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&#8220;I guess the jail could transfer you to a mental facility if
that&#8217;s what you care to do&#8221;, Champagne said.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN
style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN></P></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_FecGwBpF5aLqzDAA/HL/Dg)--