[Hpn] Tuberculosis (TB) Inquest Continues: Monday December 1st at Coroner's Court

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:27:42 -0500

TB Inquest update.

We need your presence Monday morning, December 1, 9:30 at 15 Grosvenor when
the inquest resumes!

The inquest into the death of a homeless man (Joseph Tiegesser) due to
tuberculosis was stalled this past week when the crown attorney was
appointed a judge and the inquest process was forced into a one week recess.
We have had numerous setbacks and frustrations, with security checks, a
refusal by the coroner to allow an official tour by the jury to the "hot
zone", and many delays and legal wranglings.

Please join us on Monday, December 1 at 9:30 when the inquest reconvenes. As
of today we have been advised that a new crown attorney has yet not been
assigned. Although the inquest will reconvene Monday morning, it will likely
be postponed another week and even more likely into the New Year. This is
extremely serious given the conditions that continue that pose a risk for TB
transmission. The same conditions that pose a risk for people if SARS or a
bad flu outbreak occur in the weeks or months to come.

Please help us fill the courtroom to show the extent of community concern.

Check out our web site for the latest issue of the National Disaster Post
and recent reports: The Shelter Inspection Report and TB or not TB. There is
no question.

www.tdrc.net

Cathy Crowe, RN
cathy.crowe@sympatico.ca