[Hpn] Faces of Homelessness in Santa Cruz

Becky Johnson Becky_Johnson@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:58:24 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3B468.6A234280

  Faces of Homelessness=20
  in Santa Cruz

  by Becky Johnson and Robert Norse

  November 25, 2003
    EIGHT STORIES OF HOMELESS PEOPLE IN THE SEASON OF GIVING IN SANTA =
CRUZ FROM THE COUPLE STRUGGLING TO GET THEIR KIDS BACK FOR CHRISTMAS, A =
60 DAY SENTENCE FOR A DOG-ON-THE-BEACH TICKET, AND THE DEATH OF CRAZY =
JIMMY.

    Santa Cruz, Ca. -- When Stacie and Orley Jones arrived in their RV =
from Kentucky, they thought they were planning a better life for their =
four kids. They didn't know how hard it would be to get housing, and =
wound up living in their RV much longer than they had anticipated. One =
day in April, social workers from Child Protective Services showed up =
and took all their kids.

    "They'd gotten an anonymous complaint that we were having sex in =
front of=20
    our kids and that I was smoking marijuana in front of my kids,"said =
Orley. "It wasn't true, of course," said Stacie. No such charge was ever =
filed against the couple and no witness ever came forward to testify =
against them. But their children were not returned.

    "CPS is trying desparately to find something to pin on this couple =
to justify the seizure," reports Roxanne Acquistapace who founded =
"Independent Advocacy" to help people like Stacie and Orley who are =
caught up in a system which divides and sometimes destroys families =
under the guise of protecting them.=20

    During court ordered counseling, Stacie was asked to report intimate =
details of her sexual life with her husband, and chastised when she =
failed to be forthcoming. The counselor also intimated that she should =
leave her husband. Acquistapace was outraged. "They have no business =
pressuring people to make those kind of decisions with their lives, but =
then they are homeless and living in an RV. They feel they have some =
kind of right to pass judgement on them." Despite no charges having been =
filed, Stacie and Orley are being told they must wait until January to =
get their kids back.

    Judge Robert Yonts, perhaps under pressure from nervous CPS =
officials, issued a gag order on the couple and the attorneys, banning =
them from talking about the case. (The Jones had been appearing on a =
local radio show.) When in court, the couple are not allowed to speak, =
but must do so only through a court-appointed attorney, who, they claim =
misrepresents them. They are not allowed to bring friends and supporters =
into the courtroom. They are not allowed to record the proceedings or =
say specifically what went on. Since the gag order went into effect, the =
Jones have granted no more interviews with the press.

    4-DAY JURY TRIAL FOR A DOG ON THE BEACH

    When Jhon Golder took his dog onto Its beach, he didn't think he was =
doing=20
    anything wrong. "There were two other people with dogs on the beach =
too." Yet when Officer Eric Seilly ordered him off the beach, only =
Golder was cited. "They ran my license and a warrant for my arrest came =
back that I knew shouldn't have been there," said Golder between one of =
the hearings for his jury trial. "They charged me with resisting arrest =
and with assault on a police officer, both misdemeanors, so I qualified =
for both a public defender and a jury trial."=20

    The jury found Golder innocent on the assault charge but guilty on =
the resisting arrest charge. The jury also was told that the original =
arrest warrant had been reported in error just as Golder claimed. Golder =
was sentenced to 60 days in County Jail/54 days suspended, 120 community =
service hours, $120 restitution and two years probation. The original =
"dog on the beach after 10 AM" charge was never prosecuted.

    CITY SELLS OUT SENIORS

    Homelessness in Santa Cruz is a direct result of the lack of =
affordable housing in the City. The DeAnza Senior Mobile Home Park on =
the cliffs overlooking Natural Bridges State Beach was one of the few =
such places that provide at least 198 senior households with affordable =
housing and rent control.

    But when MHC.the owner of the park sued the City for denying them a =
reasonable return from their asset (they bought the park in 1994 for =
$8.4 million knowing full well that all residents were protected by a =
rent control ordinance) they claimed the park was really worth as much =
as $80 million.

    The City spent about $500,000 in legal bills fighting the suits, but =
in August suddenly settled and on August 23rd, they voted 6 - 1 to gut =
the rent control ordinance. This also affected another 67 units in Clear =
View Court where tenants also had their rents protected by rent control. =
The one concession they had wrangled from MHC were 34 year leases for =
the current DeAnza residents only, the automatic effect was the loss of =
equity in their homes for most of the seniors.

    Critics argued that the City could win the suit if they continued. =
But Mayor Emily Reilly claimed she couldn't "bankrupt" the City by =
defending the seniors assets. Councilmember Rotkin warned the City could =
lose up to $16 million if it were to continue and to lose the suit.

    "That is highly unlikely," argued Attorney Michael Constantine who =
wrote the San Mateo mobile home rent control ordinance. "At best they =
could get the differences in the back rent --- a sum of about $1.5 =
million, if they could win at all." The City cited budget woes as the =
sole reason for the settlement. Two months later (Nov.25, '03) City =
Council voted to spend $300,000 on golf course improvements.

    MOVE-ALONG ORDINANCE TO BE TESTED AT TRIAL

    Steve Argue and Matt Hartough both refused to move a political table =
after=20
    one hour's time from a location in front of the Pacific Trading =
Company that=20
    both men were boycotting. City Council passed a Move-Along Every =
Hour law along with other anti-homeless laws last January to please =
merchants against the recommendations of its own advisory committee.

    Pacific Trading Company owners Carolyn and Clark Heinrich not only=20
    supported these laws but played an active role in lobbying the City =
to spend $7000+ to move a planter railing out 8" eliminating 20+ seating =
spaces to discourage street musicians, youth, and homeless. Under =
complaint from the PTC, both Argue and Hartough were arrested and jailed =
for failing to comply with the new law, enacted in January of 2003. =
Argue's case goes to pre-trial hearing on December 12th at 8:30 AM in =
Dept. 2. The cash-strapped City--supposedly unable to find money to =
support its rent control law at De Anza, is finding
    the money to continue the prosecution.

    BLUE LAGOON WINS POLICE HARASSMENT TRIAL

    In federal court, the owners of the Gay-friendly "Blue Lagoon" won a =
lawsuit against the Santa Cruz Police Department for harassment when =
they sent uniformed officers into the bar with a german shepard police =
dog to sniff the customers and hang out for hours at a time. Other =
testimoney the jury heard was of police cars shining headlights into the =
bar for hours. And of a police officer in full uniform standing out at =
the front entrance with a police dog. Why did then Lt. Patricia Sapone =
of the SCPD do it?"

    "She did it to further her career,'' said Reno civil rights attorney =
Terri Keyser-Cooper. ``And she did it because she could.'' In addition =
to Keyser-Cooper, Dianne Vaillancourt and Kate Wells of Santa Cruz =
represented the owners of the Blue Lagoon.

    The city's attorney, Vince Hurley of Aptos, argued the police did =
nothing unusual.

    Wells said " The City has denied any wrong-doing but the jury has =
already awarded $116,000 in damages and court costs and legal fees. The =
combined legal costs for both the plaintives and the defense will run =
over a million dollars." On November 25th, The City Council met in =
closed session to consider whether to appeal the verdict. Patty Sapone =
was widely considered to be next in line for Chief of Police in Santa =
Cruz, a position only recentlly vacated by the retirement of Chief =
Steven Belcher. Homeless activists are hopeful this victory will rein in =
the police departmen. City Council--which abolished the Citizens Police =
Review Board last January--is prone to rubberstamp every police request =
for increased funding and authority.=20

    MORE HOMELESS DEATHS: DOMINICAN HOSPITAL NEGLECT,
    DISCRIMINATION CHARGED

    Patches died late this summer when she sought treatment for an =
infected arm four times at Dominican Hospital. Night after night she was =
turned away. On her fourth trip to the emergency ward she was admitted =
and scheduled for an amputation of her infected arm. Two days later--the =
day before surgery--she died. Her husband Chico, claimed they kept =
turning her away because they were homeless and had no insurance.

    On November 14th, Linda Sipos was taken to the emergency room, =
suffering two seizures in the ambulance. The ER personnel were able to =
treat a third seizure she had in the ER ward. Yet Linda was released in =
a wheelchair in the rain later that evening when a blood test showed a =
trace of alcohol in her system. C.J., her common-law husband, begged the =
staff to admit her."If she goes into another seizure, she may die," he =
had pleaded.=20

    "They told her to get a bus in the rain in a wheelchair," C.J. =
cried, sobs catching in his throat. "I woke up the next morning ( in =
their campsite) and she lay dead beside me." C.J. is a well-known street =
musician in Santa Cruz who helped start the recent street performers =
union SAFE (Society for Artistic Freedom and Expression). "For the past =
5 !/2 years I woke up every morning with Linda and told her I loved her. =
I don't know how I am going to go on without her."

    DRIVING FOOD SERVERS AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN PACIFIC AVENUE

    As the weather turns colder, HUFF activists have growing concerns =
about a=20
    joint effort by the Downtown Association, the City Manager's Office, =
neighborhood NIMBYS, Julee Hendee of the RDA and the Police Department =
to ban those serving free food to the hungry from the downtown area. =
Groups like The Potters Hand and Food Not Bombs that serve hungry people =
directly on the street report increased harassment.

    Pastor Adams of The Potters Hand has publicly advised his clients he =
can no longer serve downtown because of the risks of harassment from =
police and city officials. The City Manager's office called an =
inviation-only meeting with some food servers in October, at which, =
Adams reports, it became clear the city is drawing up laws to =
criminalize food serving.

    Fourteen years ago, the city and county futiley spent tens of =
thousands of=20
    dollars chasing, arresting, enjoining, and prosecuting street food =
servers, in an attempt to please nervous merchants.

    Food Not Bombs reports being newly closely watched by police and =
health=20
    officials. Sgt.Loren Baker arrested FNB activist Crissy for improper =
identification and for a fix-it ticket as she pedaled the Food Not Bombs =
bike cart supplied with food down to the meal in mid-October.

    FIRST OFFICIAL DEATH BY EXPOSURE REPORTED

    "Crazy Jimmy" who many knew on Pacific Ave. died on November 23, =
2003 in the Pogonip. Coroners are labeling the death of James Cline Jr., =
age 57, as at least partially due to exposure.

    Cline, due to his tendency to burst out suddenly and sometimes using =
expletives, was not allowed in the Santa Cruz ISSP shelter program. =
Instead, he froze to death on a hill nearby. Mayor Scott Kennedy was =
elected on November 25th with all the usual pomp and circumstance. Few =
believe, his mayorship will bring any welcome changes. Kennedy supports =
the Sleeping Ban and the downtown ordinances.=20

    Jessica, a friend of Jimmy's, and who was born and raised in Santa =
Cruz but is now a homeless panhandler on Pacific Ave. confirmed that =
Dominican Hospital turns away homeless people. "Dominican is =
anti-homeless for a Catholic-run government facility." when asked about =
the death of "Crazy" Jimmy, she said=20

    "I blame the Satelite program and the armory program for his death. =
I've known Jimmy all my life and I'm 25 years old. It was cold Sunday, =
all day. I know Jimmy well enough to know he went to see if he could get =
on at the armory that night.

    ....That's what killed him. He had nowhere safe and warm to go."

    See also www.huffsantacruz.org or call the HUFFline at (831) =
423-HUFF

    Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom

    309 Cedar St. PMB 14 B --- Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3B468.6A234280

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dreplbq=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
  <DIV><B><FONT size=3D5>Faces of Homelessness </FONT></B></DIV>
  <DIV><B><FONT size=3D5>in Santa Cruz<BR><BR></B></FONT>by Becky =
Johnson and=20
  Robert Norse<BR><BR>November 25, 2003</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dreplbq=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <DIV>
    <P><EM>EIGHT STORIES OF HOMELESS PEOPLE IN THE SEASON OF GIVING IN =
SANTA=20
    CRUZ FROM THE COUPLE STRUGGLING TO GET THEIR KIDS BACK FOR =
CHRISTMAS, A 60=20
    DAY SENTENCE FOR A DOG-ON-THE-BEACH TICKET, AND THE DEATH OF CRAZY=20
    JIMMY.<BR><BR></EM>Santa Cruz, Ca. -- When Stacie and Orley Jones =
arrived in=20
    their RV from Kentucky, they thought they were planning a better =
life for=20
    their four kids. They didn't know how hard it would be to get =
housing, and=20
    wound up living in their RV much longer than they had anticipated. =
One day=20
    in April, social workers from Child Protective Services showed up =
and took=20
    all their kids.<BR><BR>"They'd gotten an anonymous complaint that we =
were=20
    having sex in front of <BR>our kids and that I was smoking marijuana =
in=20
    front of my kids,"said Orley. "It wasn't true, of course," said =
Stacie. No=20
    such charge was ever filed against the couple and no witness ever =
came=20
    forward to testify against them. But their children were not=20
    returned.<BR><BR>"CPS is trying desparately to find something to pin =
on this=20
    couple to justify the seizure," reports Roxanne Acquistapace who =
founded=20
    "<EM>Independent Advocacy</EM>" to help people like Stacie and Orley =
who are=20
    caught up in a system which divides and sometimes destroys families =
under=20
    the guise of protecting them. </P>
    <P>During court ordered counseling, Stacie was asked to report =
intimate=20
    details of her sexual life with her husband, and chastised when she =
failed=20
    to be forthcoming. The counselor also intimated that she should =
leave her=20
    husband. Acquistapace was outraged. "They have no business =
pressuring people=20
    to make those kind of decisions with their lives, but then they are =
homeless=20
    and living in an RV. They feel they have some kind of right to pass=20
    judgement on them." Despite no charges having been filed, Stacie and =
Orley=20
    are being told they must wait until January to get their kids=20
    back.<BR><BR>Judge Robert Yonts, perhaps under pressure from nervous =
CPS=20
    officials, issued a gag order on the couple and the attorneys, =
banning them=20
    from talking about the case. (The Jones had been appearing on a =
local radio=20
    show.) When in court, the couple are not allowed to speak, but must =
do so=20
    only through a court-appointed attorney, who, they claim =
misrepresents them.=20
    They are not allowed to bring friends and supporters into the =
courtroom.=20
    They are not allowed to record the proceedings or say specifically =
what went=20
    on. Since the gag order went into effect, the Jones have granted no =
more=20
    interviews with the press.</P>
    <P><BR>4-DAY JURY TRIAL FOR A DOG ON THE BEACH<BR><BR>When Jhon =
Golder took=20
    his dog onto Its beach, he didn't think he was doing <BR>anything =
wrong.=20
    "There were two other people with dogs on the beach too." Yet when =
Officer=20
    Eric Seilly ordered him off the beach, only Golder was cited. "They =
ran my=20
    license and a warrant for my arrest came back that I knew shouldn't =
have=20
    been there," said Golder between one of the hearings for his jury =
trial.=20
    "They charged me with resisting arrest and with assault on a police =
officer,=20
    both misdemeanors, so I qualified for both a public defender and a =
jury=20
    trial." </P>
    <P>The jury found Golder innocent on the assault charge but guilty =
on the=20
    resisting arrest charge. The jury also was told that the original =
arrest=20
    warrant had been reported in error just as Golder claimed. Golder =
was=20
    sentenced to 60 days in County Jail/54 days suspended, 120 community =
service=20
    hours, $120 restitution and two years probation. The original "dog =
on the=20
    beach after 10 AM" charge was never prosecuted.<BR></P>
    <P>CITY SELLS OUT SENIORS<BR><BR>Homelessness in Santa Cruz is a =
direct=20
    result of the lack of affordable housing in the City. The DeAnza =
Senior=20
    Mobile Home Park on the cliffs overlooking Natural Bridges State =
Beach was=20
    one of the few such places that provide at least 198 senior =
households with=20
    affordable housing and rent control.<BR><BR>But when MHC.the owner =
of the=20
    park sued the City for denying them a reasonable return from their =
asset=20
    (they bought the park in 1994 for $8.4 million knowing full well =
that all=20
    residents were protected by a rent control ordinance) they claimed =
the park=20
    was really worth as much as $80 million.<BR><BR>The City spent about =

    $500,000 in legal bills fighting the suits, but in August suddenly =
settled=20
    and on August 23rd, they voted 6 - 1 to gut the rent control =
ordinance. This=20
    also affected another 67 units in Clear View Court where tenants =
also had=20
    their rents protected by rent control. The one concession they had =
wrangled=20
    from MHC were 34 year leases for the current DeAnza residents only, =
the=20
    automatic effect was the loss of equity in their homes for most of =
the=20
    seniors.</P>
    <P><BR>Critics argued that the City could win the suit if they =
continued.=20
    But Mayor Emily Reilly claimed she couldn't "bankrupt" the City by =
defending=20
    the seniors assets. Councilmember Rotkin warned the City could lose =
up to=20
    $16 million if it were to continue and to lose the =
suit.<BR><BR>"That is=20
    highly unlikely," argued Attorney Michael Constantine who wrote the =
San=20
    Mateo mobile home rent control ordinance. "At best they could get =
the=20
    differences in the back rent --- a sum of about $1.5 million, if =
they could=20
    win at all." The City cited budget woes as the sole reason for the=20
    settlement. Two months later (Nov.25, '03) City Council voted to =
spend=20
    $300,000 on golf course improvements.</P>
    <P>MOVE-ALONG ORDINANCE TO BE TESTED AT TRIAL<BR><BR>Steve Argue and =
Matt=20
    Hartough both refused to move a political table after <BR>one hour's =
time=20
    from a location in front of the <EM>Pacific Trading Company =
</EM>that=20
    <BR>both men were boycotting. City Council passed a Move-Along Every =
Hour=20
    law along with other anti-homeless laws last January to please =
merchants=20
    against the recommendations of its own advisory=20
    committee.<BR><BR><EM>Pacific Trading Company </EM>owners Carolyn =
and Clark=20
    Heinrich not only <BR>supported these laws but played an active role =
in=20
    lobbying the City to spend $7000+ to move a planter railing out 8"=20
    eliminating 20+ seating spaces to discourage street musicians, =
youth, and=20
    homeless. Under complaint from the PTC, both Argue and Hartough were =

    arrested and jailed for failing to comply with the new law, enacted =
in=20
    January of 2003. Argue&#8217;s case goes to pre-trial hearing on =
December 12th at=20
    8:30 AM in Dept. 2. The cash-strapped City--supposedly unable to =
find money=20
    to support its rent control law at De Anza, is finding<BR>the money =
to=20
    continue the prosecution.<BR><BR>BLUE LAGOON WINS POLICE HARASSMENT=20
    TRIAL<BR><BR>In federal court, the owners of the Gay-friendly =
"<EM>Blue=20
    Lagoon</EM>" won a lawsuit against the <EM>Santa Cruz Police =
Department=20
    </EM>for harassment when they sent uniformed officers into the bar =
with a=20
    german shepard police dog to sniff the customers and hang out for =
hours at a=20
    time. Other testimoney the jury heard was of police cars shining =
headlights=20
    into the bar for hours. And of a police officer in full uniform =
standing out=20
    at the front entrance with a police dog. Why did then Lt. Patricia =
Sapone of=20
    the SCPD do it?"</P>
    <P>"She did it to further her career,'' said Reno civil rights =
attorney=20
    Terri Keyser-Cooper. ``And she did it because she could.'' In =
addition to=20
    Keyser-Cooper, Dianne Vaillancourt and Kate Wells of Santa Cruz =
represented=20
    the owners of the Blue Lagoon.</P>
    <P>The city's attorney, Vince Hurley of Aptos, argued the police did =
nothing=20
    unusual.</P>
    <P><BR>Wells said " The City has denied any wrong-doing but the jury =
has=20
    already awarded $116,000 in damages and court costs and legal fees. =
The=20
    combined legal costs for both the plaintives and the defense will =
run over a=20
    million dollars." On November 25th, The City Council met in closed =
session=20
    to consider whether to appeal the verdict. Patty Sapone was widely=20
    considered to be next in line for Chief of Police in Santa Cruz, a =
position=20
    only recentlly vacated by the retirement of Chief Steven Belcher. =
Homeless=20
    activists are hopeful this victory will rein in the police =
departmen. City=20
    Council--which abolished the <EM>Citizens Police Review Board =
</EM>last=20
    January--is prone to rubberstamp every police request for increased =
funding=20
    and authority. <BR><BR>MORE HOMELESS DEATHS: DOMINICAN HOSPITAL=20
    NEGLECT,<BR>DISCRIMINATION CHARGED<BR><BR>Patches died late this =
summer when=20
    she sought treatment for an infected arm four times at <EM>Dominican =

    Hospital</EM>. Night after night she was turned away. On her fourth =
trip to=20
    the emergency ward she was admitted and scheduled for an amputation =
of her=20
    infected arm. Two days later--the day before surgery--she died. Her =
husband=20
    Chico, claimed they kept turning her away because they were homeless =
and had=20
    no insurance.<BR><BR>On November 14th, Linda Sipos was taken to the=20
    emergency room, suffering two seizures in the ambulance. The ER =
personnel=20
    were able to treat a third seizure she had in the ER ward. Yet Linda =
was=20
    released in a wheelchair in the rain later that evening when a blood =
test=20
    showed a trace of alcohol in her system. C.J., her common-law =
husband,=20
    begged the staff to admit her."If she goes into another seizure, she =
may=20
    die," he had pleaded. </P>
    <P>"They told her to get a bus in the rain in a wheelchair," C.J. =
cried,=20
    sobs catching in his throat. "I woke up the next morning ( in their=20
    campsite) and she lay dead beside me." C.J. is a well-known street =
musician=20
    in Santa Cruz who helped start the recent street performers union =
SAFE=20
    (<EM>Society for Artistic Freedom and Expression</EM>). "For the =
past 5 !/2=20
    years I woke up every morning with Linda and told her I loved her. I =
don't=20
    know how I am going to go on without her."<BR></P>
    <P>DRIVING FOOD SERVERS AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN PACIFIC AVENUE<BR><BR>As =
the=20
    weather turns colder, HUFF activists have growing concerns about a =
<BR>joint=20
    effort by the <EM>Downtown Association</EM>, the City =
Manager&#8217;s Office,=20
    neighborhood NIMBYS, Julee Hendee of the RDA and the Police =
Department to=20
    ban those serving free food to the hungry from the downtown area. =
Groups=20
    like <I>The Potters Hand </I>and <I>Food Not Bombs </I>that serve =
hungry=20
    people directly on the street report increased harassment.</P>
    <P></P>
    <P>Pastor Adams of <I>The Potters Hand </I>has publicly advised his =
clients=20
    he can no longer serve downtown because of the risks of harassment =
from=20
    police and city officials. The City Manager&#8217;s office called an =

    inviation-only meeting with some food servers in October, at which, =
Adams=20
    reports, it became clear the city is drawing up laws to criminalize =
food=20
    serving.<BR><BR>Fourteen years ago, the city and county futiley =
spent tens=20
    of thousands of <BR>dollars chasing, arresting, enjoining, and =
prosecuting=20
    street food servers, in an attempt to please nervous=20
    merchants.<BR><BR><EM>Food Not Bombs </EM>reports being newly =
closely=20
    watched by police and health <BR>officials. Sgt.Loren Baker arrested =
FNB=20
    activist Crissy for improper identification and for a fix-it ticket =
as she=20
    pedaled the <EM>Food Not Bombs </EM>bike cart supplied with food =
down to the=20
    meal in mid-October.</P>
    <P>FIRST OFFICIAL DEATH BY EXPOSURE REPORTED</P>
    <P>"Crazy Jimmy" who many knew on Pacific Ave. died on November 23, =
2003 in=20
    the Pogonip. Coroners are labeling the death of James Cline Jr., age =
57, as=20
    at least partially due to exposure.</P>
    <P>Cline, due to his tendency to burst out suddenly and sometimes =
using=20
    expletives, was not allowed in the Santa Cruz ISSP shelter program. =
Instead,=20
    he froze to death on a hill nearby. Mayor Scott Kennedy was elected =
on=20
    November 25th with all the usual pomp and circumstance. Few believe, =
his=20
    mayorship will bring any welcome changes. Kennedy supports the =
Sleeping Ban=20
    and the downtown ordinances. </P>
    <P>Jessica, a friend of Jimmy's, and who was born and raised in =
Santa Cruz=20
    but is now a homeless panhandler on Pacific Ave. confirmed that =
Dominican=20
    Hospital turns away homeless people. "Dominican is anti-homeless for =
a=20
    Catholic-run government facility." when asked about the death of =
"Crazy"=20
    Jimmy, she said </P>
    <P>"I blame the Satelite program and the armory program for his =
death. I've=20
    known Jimmy all my life and I'm 25 years old. It was cold Sunday, =
all day. I=20
    know Jimmy well enough to know he went to see if he could get on at =
the=20
    armory that night.</P>
    <P>....That's what killed him. He had nowhere safe and warm to =
go."</P>
    <P>See also <A=20
    href=3D"http://www.huffsantacruz.org/">www.huffsantacruz.org</A> or =
call the=20
    HUFFline at (831) 423-HUFF</P>
    <P><EM><STRONG>Homeless United for Friendship &amp;=20
Freedom</STRONG></EM></P>
    <P>309 Cedar St. PMB 14 B --- Santa Cruz, Ca.=20
  =
95060<BR><BR></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></DIV></BODY></HT=

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3B468.6A234280--