[Hpn] Austin, TX - The Garden Terrace Apartments for the homeless - Austin 8 TV News - November 04, 2003

HC Covington HC Covington" <hcc@icanamerica.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:21:27 -0500

Dear John:

Your comments were interesting and informative.
Hopefully you shared them with the local news
folks too.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

H. C. [Sonny] Covington, Editor
T H E  -  H O M E L E S S -  N E W S
http://egroups.com/group/HomelessNews/

----- Original Message -----
From: "john macpherson" <nyceguy50@yahoo.com>
To: "editor" <hcc@icanamerica.org>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Hpn] Austin, TX - The Garden Terrace Apartments for the
homeless - Austin 8 TV News - November 04, 2003

This piece of the puzzle has bee open for bid for the
past 14 years in Austin wit ha grant that was
introduced that long ago.  Yet it took a lot more
money to make it worth while.

The SRO dosen't't meet the formula of the city as it
is in the far southern region of Austin nearly 10
miles from the city managed labor hall.
the City chief executive HHS officer has repeatedly
refused to comment on this issue, but when asked why
the only shelter that will be city funded is on the
doorstep of all the major bars and nightclubs in town
she also refuses to respond.
All that she has responded to is that the homeless
need a one stop shop in the downtown region. I
continue to refute this statement as if that were true
there would be only one food store in the city, only
one carpenter ... one professional for a domain.  We
need as many shelters as there are community centers
and other places that can be converted into temporary
shelters for the homeless so that they can absorbed
into the communities that they desire to live and
function in.

Yet when their unsound methoud of operation collapses
they will blame the problem on the have nots.