[Hpn] PORT ANGELES, WA - Peninsula homelessness worse than expected - Peninsula Daily News - November 11, 2003

editor editor" <hcc@icanamerica.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:15:53 -0500

Peninsula homelessness worse than expected

by EMELINE COKELET - Peninsula Daily News - November 11, 2003

PORT ANGELES, WA - Hundreds of people in Clallam and
Jefferson counties are living in tents, on beaches, in
cars or drifting from couch to couch and considered
homeless in a recent statewide survey.

On a day in October, more than 100 people in Clallam
and Jefferson counties set out to take a census of the
North Olympic Peninsula's homeless population.

The number of homeless was much higher than previous
estimates reflected.

``I would say that the numbers are going to surprise
the citizens of both counties,'' said Vanessa Brower,
housing services director for OlyCAP -- Olympic
Community Action Programs -- in Port Townsend.

``There are folks who think that we don't have a
homeless problem at all, and then there's the folks who
think we have five homeless folks, and then there's
those who think we have 5,000,'' she said.

In Clallam County, the number is closer to 900 based on
initial survey information, said Kathy Wahto, executive
director of Serenity House in Port Angeles.

But the real figure is probably higher because
populations living in the woods, in cars or on
couches were more difficult to access, she said.
``We missed way more than we ever counted.''

The rest of the story appears in Sunday's
Peninsula Daily News source page: http://tinyurl.com/uijm
 THE HOMELESS NEWS     http://tinyurl.com/2yg2