[Hpn] MAIN Conference "Poor People's Survival Guide in Today's Economy"

HC Covington HC Covington" <hcc@icanamerica.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:10:26 -0500

MAIN Conference "Poor People's Survival Guide in
Today's Economy"

Greetings members - one of the many great things going
on this weekend is this conference.

Check out the details below and if you're interested
fill out the registration form and email / send it back
to Chris Rusnov (see below for her info).

If you need a ride or can offer one, please let us
know!! The cost is 0 - $5, and there will be free
on-site childcare.

This will be a very exciting and rewarding event -
hopefully some of you can make it!

In loving solidarity, jesse

Contact P.O.W.E.R. - Portland Organizing to Win
Economic Rights 681-0035 / power@riseup.net / PO Box
4281 Portland, ME 04101 Because until justice works for
all of us, we must all work for justice!

POWER meets on THE LAST MONDAY of every month, at
4:30pm At the Chestnut Street Church, 17 Chesnut St in
Portland just around the corner from Portland City Hall

Poor People's Survival Guide in Today's Economy

Saturday, November 15, 2003-9:00 am to 4:00 pm United
Methodist Church - Orono

The goal of this conference is to bring people together
to share ideas on ways to take action as individuals or
with others to make changes that improve all of our
lives.

We hope that by the end of the day, you will have some
practical ideas that you can use. We also hope that
some of you will meet other people that you want to
work with on some of these issues after the
conference.

MAIN may not actually be able to take the lead in
organizing this "after conference" work, but we will
want to know of your efforts, and will want to share
them with our members.

We may also at times be able to work with you or
provide information on other resources.

9:00 - 9:45 Registration & Morning Snack.

Video Room
open. This room will have a TV and VCR so you can go in
at any time during the day and pop in a tape. We've got
tapes on a variety of peace and justice issues.

9:45 - 10:15 Welcome by Judy Guay.

10:15 - 11:15 The Root Causes of Poverty.

A panel will discuss basic information on why poverty
exists today and how defeating it is a social
responsibility not an individual's problem.

Panelists will talk about the rise in poverty,
inadequate wages, lack of access to education,
capitalism, racism, classism, sexism, globalization,
corporate welfare, taxes & government spending
priorities.

11:15 - 12:15 Small group brainstorming.

After the panel presentation, we will form small groups
to make a list of practical ways to fight/challenge the
root causes of poverty-from individual actions to
organized group actions. The action ideas will be
shared with everyone in the last half hour.

12:15 - 1:00 Lunch Provided

1:00 - 3:00 Workshops

The workshops will be divided into two sections:
Information and action/organizing

Workshop topics will include: Housing, health care,
hunger, low-wage work issues (education, wages,
transportation), DHS child protective services, poor
people organizing, and upcoming legislation.

People who have been working on these issues will offer
information and talk about what is currently being done
and who is doing it.

Afterwards, participants will discuss their own ideas
on ways to influence, challenge, and create
solutions.

3:00 - 4:00 Report back on action ideas

+++++++++++++

Childcare will be provided on-site. Please pre-register
so we can plan better.

Carpooling.

MAIN encourages car pooling-it's fun, saves on gas and
creates less pollution. There are always people who
need rides so please offer that extra seat in your car.

If you work for an agency or group, perhaps you can
arrange to borrow a van or get help to pay for gas.

Let us know if you can give a ride or if you need a
ride. We'll do our best to help link people up.

Travel & child care reimbursement.

MAIN will reimburse you for gas, and child care (if you
need to make arrangements at home).

Contacts for more information, car pooling or to
pre-register after November 11:

Chris Rusnov crusnov@mejp.org
1-866-626-7059 ext 204

Judy Guay krjguay@myexcel.com
947-4371

To register: fill out and send in the form below.

(If you do it by e-mail, copy the registration form and paste it into
new email then fill it out and send to crusnov@mejp.org)

Nov. 15. Conference Registration Form

Please PRINT clearly.

Name

Address

Town/city Zip code

Phone E-mail

Sliding scale fee: $0-$5 whatever you can afford. Enclosed $ _______ .
      I'll donate at the Conference_____

Here's an extra donation to help with expenses. $________

I need Child Care. Number of children_______ Age(s) of children_______

Please let us know if you have any special needs and we will do our
best
to accommodate you.

I need a meatless lunch. ________

Request for Reimbursement.
(You can request reimbursement on the day of the conference even if
you
do not fill out this section.)

I will need travel reimbursement. $__________
(MAIN encourages car pooling whenever possible-it's fun, saves on gas
and
creates less pollution.)

I can't bring my child, and will have to pay for child care myself.
Please
reimburse me. $_________

Send Registration Form to:
MAIN, c/o MEJP, 126 Sewall St., Augusta, ME 04330

*- - - - - Cut and save these Directions- - - - - -
-*

Directions to United Methodist Church in Orono

Take Exit 50 off of I-95 (Kelly Rd./ Downtown Orono)

Turn RIGHT toward Orono. Go about 1 mile to a blinking
red stop light. Turn LEFT onto Rt. 2.

Go about 1.3 miles. You are now in downtown Orono on
Main St. At the second traffic light turn RIGHT onto
Mill Street. You will drive past Pat's Pizza and
Margarita's Restaurant on your right and Thai Orchid on
the left.

When you come to the stop sign turn LEFT onto Summer
Street.

Go a short distance - a block - and turn LEFT onto Oak
St. The church is a little ways down on your right.

Ed Democracy
Treasurer
PORTLAND TENANTS UNION
Housing of the people, by the people, and for the people!
http://www.portlandtenants.org
207-775-0270