[Hpn] PARKERSBURG, WV - Reservists to honor veterans by way of all-night march - The Parkersburg Sentinel - November 10, 2003

editor editor" <hcc@icanamerica.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:48:26 -0500

Reservists to honor veterans by way of all-night march

By BRETT DUNLAP - The Parkersburg Sentinel - November 10, 2003

PARKERSBURG, WV - Local Army reservists will march around town
throughout the night in honor of Veterans Day.

Members of Charlie Company, 463rd Engineering Battalion will
gather around 9 p.m. today at Grand Central Mall for an all-night
march.

"We are marching in honor of all the veterans," said Sgt.
William Dailey, who organized the event. "It will be an
all-nighter, and then we will meet back up at Parkersburg High
School for the Veterans Day parade the next morning."

The idea for the march came from Spc. Scott Coon, one of the
soldiers in the unit.

Reservists will collect donations of canned
goods to benefit the local homeless population and carry the
donations in their packs around town.

Anywhere from five to 20 reservists will leave the mall parking
lot between 10:30-11 p.m. and will walk about eight miles through
town.

People can drop donations off at the mall before the reservists
start or give them to the soldiers if they spot them tonight
during their march. Donations also can be made before the
Veterans Day parade Tuesday at Parkersburg High School, Dailey
said.

The reservists will be making a number of stops throughout the
evening, including the Veterans of Foreign Wars post on Garfield
Avenue, Vision Care in south Parkersburg, Dr. Dorai Rajan's
office on Camden Avenue and Hardee's on Seventh Street, before
making their way to the high school.

The reservists will have a police escort and one of their own
vehicles available to carry any overflow of food donations.

"Veterans who are interested can walk with us if they want,"
Dailey said.

Dailey is contacting local homeless shelters and services to find
someone to receive the unit's donations.

"This food drive is for Parkersburg and the homeless here," he
said.

The 463rd Engineering Battalion, a combat engineering group made
up of many local reservists, includes carpenters, plumbers and
heavy machine operators.

The battalion has worked on a number of
projects throughout the area, including lake projects near
Elizabeth and Mineral Wells, Dailey said.

Many members already have been deployed, he said, and others
could follow.

The march is intended to honor all the veterans who have given
their time and commitment to their country and also to honor
those now serving America, Dailey said.

"This march is for the veterans, to show them we care about
them," he said. "It is to remember what the veterans sacrificed,
not only the ones who came back, but the ones who have fallen and
are still missing.

"We need to support them, because they supported us. We wouldn't
be where we are without our veterans. They are the reason we have
our freedoms today. That is what Veterans Day means to us.

"Every step we take shows our pride in them."

People seeking more information about the march or wanting to
make a donation can call (304) 424-3412.

Parkersburg Sentinel source page: http://tinyurl.com/uhfy
 THE HOMELESS NEWS     http://tinyurl.com/2yg2