[Hpn] Austin, TX - The Garden Terrace Apartments for the homeless - Austin 8 TV News - November 04, 2003

editor editor" <hcc@icanamerica.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 05:41:29 -0500

Homeless get a permanent place to live

The Garden Terrace Apartments for the homeless
By: Amy Bowlin - Austin 8 TV News - November 04, 2003

Austin, TX - There are about 35,000 homeless people in Austin.
Two local organizations are working to change that.

Allan Haskell is one of the first residents of the Garden Terrace
apartments. The Capitol Area Homeless Alliance and Foundation
Communities had a ribbon cutting at The Garden Terrace Apartments
for the homeless on Tuesday. The complex is helping people get on
their feet.

Allan Haskell just moved into his new apartment.

"There's a sink. There's a light over the sink. I have a little
container here for my dishes. I have a gigantic trash can,"
Haskell said.

He's one of the first residents of Garden Terrace.

"To have a setup like this, I got it made. Just like that, I got
it made," Haskell said.

The apartments are Austin's first permanent housing for the
homeless.

"People say give a man a fish or teach a man to fish. Actually, I
think this is teaching a man to fish.

You can't teach a man to fish if he's homeless because you can't
get anything done when people are worried about their security
and their health is going down the tubes," Helen Varty, with the
Capitol Area Homeless Alliance, said.

There are 85 apartments for homeless and low income adults, and
on-site social services.

"Permanent supportive housing gets results. If you look at the
statistics, 88 percent of chronically homeless people are
successful when they're in housing like Garden Terrace," former
Mayor Kirk Watson said.

"It's a means to a job. It's a means to decent health care, to
decent nutrition. A means to move on," Varty said.

Supporters of the complex hope others will see it not only as a
sign of need, but as a milestone of progress.

The Garden Terrace apartments provide permanent homes for the
homeless.

"I got it made. Maybe for someone else a house is the best idea
for them, a big house. But for me this is the place to live. This
is the place to live," Haskell said.

The Capitol Area Homeless Alliance has already accepted almost 30
people to live at Garden Terrace.

Residents cannot have a criminal record, and they have to prove
they can live peacefully with others.

The project cost $4.5 million to complete.
For more information go to The Capitol Area Homeless Alliance
http://www.caha-austin.org/
WATCH THE VIDEO - Homes for the homeless
Austin 8 TV News source page: http://tinyurl.com/tvhx
 THE HOMELESS NEWS     http://tinyurl.com/2yg2