[Hpn] Campaign(s) to End Homelessness

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@hotmail.com
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:24:14 -0500

My apologies if this is a repeat message, however it seems my first attempt
at sending this to the HPN list failed -- if I managed to sent it out in the
first place. -- MWB

Using Pop-under Window Tool to Promote Campaign(s) to End Homelessness

As posted on the personal blog of Morgan W. Brown
Norsehorse's Home Turf: http://nht.blogspot.com

Friday, November 07, 2003

Homeless Pop-under Experiment: Sharing Norsehorse's Home Turf Visitor's with
the Bringing America Home Campaign during this coming season of giving

In the spirit of what the Internet and especially Blogging gave birth to as
well as the coming season of giving, today begins an experiment in sharing
visitors who come to this blog with the Bringing America Home Campaign
<http://www.bringingamericahome.org/> via what are known as Pop-under
windows.

Bringing America Home: the Campaign

"This national, broad-based initiative is dedicated to the goal of ending
homelessness. The Campaign is founded on the principles and action of public
education, grassroots organizing and support for progressive policies and
legislation. It is founded on the principles that people need affordable
housing, livable incomes, health care, education, and protection of their
civil rights."

Initially I was going to begin this homeless experiment using the National
Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) <http://www.nationalhomeless.org/> Website
for the next couple of weeks.

Then, as I was checking out the NCH Website, I noticed the link for the
Bringing America Home Campaign and it was an easy decision to start off with
that particular Website first.

In about two weeks or so, I most likely will change it to direct to the NCH
Website. After a couple of weeks of hosting that site in this way, I will
probably change it to feature local (Vermont) Website's focusing on
homelessness as well of course, for roughly the same time period more or
less.

This homeless experiment, in sharing visitors to this blog with other
Website's that are focused on ending homelessness, will last until the New
Year (January 1, 2004).

Pop-under Windows?

Pop-under windows are vastly different than those intrusive popup windows.
With a Pop-under window, when the host site is visited, it is found in a
second window underneath or alongside the window of the Website the host
wants to share with its visitors.

While Internet surfing this morning I came across mention of the Pop-under
window at Weblog Central within their Weblog Resources List. Actually their
link led to the PopUnder Project found on another Webpage.

If you are interested in following suite, the script for this originally
came by way of the following and can also be found at: Cut & Paste Pop-under
window http://javascriptkit.com/script/script2/popunder.shtml

Credit: JavaScript Kit http://www.javascriptkit.com/

intrusive alternative to popup windows. Use this script to add a pop-under
window to your page; simply input the page/address to pop under, and off you
go!

*Make sure to note* that you will have to change the Web address for the
site you want to host (i.e., having your blog or Website pop-under the other
site).

In addition you may want to adjust the frequency. My setting is 1 (in this
specific instance, the number equals: yes), making it only engage once
during any given windows session. As using 0 (in this specific instance, the
number equals: no), would enable it to pop-under or re-engage each time the
host blog or Website is refreshed.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA
Norsehorse's Home Turf: http://nht.blogspot.com
Personal blog of Morgan W. Brown. Morgan, aka Norsehorse, is a struggling,
but serious and persistent writer, poet and activist who resides homeless in
Montpelier, Vermont, USA. He blogs using public access online computers.

PS Permission to freely share the above e-mail, as is, with others can be
considered granted. -- MWB

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!