[Hpn] Federal team to re-inspect state hospital; Vermont; BFP; 6/15/03

Morgan W. Brown norsehorse@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:23:55 -0400

Note: Recipient list undisclosed

Below is a forward of an article from last Sunday (June 14, 2003) which may
be of interest to you and others you know if it has not been come across
already.

Following the forwarded article are related Web addresses and contact
information for those seeking additional information.

Morgan <norsehorse@hotmail.com>
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier Vermont USA
Norsehorse's Home Turf: http://nht.blogspot.com

-------Forwarded FYI-------

Sunday, June 15, 2003
Burlington Free Press: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com
[Vermont]
Local & State News section
Federal team to re-inspect state hospital

By Nancy Remsen
Free Press Staff Writer

MONTPELIER -- Any day, a team of federal inspectors will make a surprise
visit to the Vermont State Hospital in Waterbury to see if the institution
has remedied deficiencies found three months ago.

The deficiencies were serious enough that the branch chief for the Centers
for Medicare and Medicaid Services warned hospital officials in March that
the psychiatric facility could lose its federal funding for patients July
11.

The most serious problems included too few nurses, an inappropriate practice
of locking some of the sickest patients in their rooms at night, and failure
to show that all patients were receiving treatment.

Hospital officials responded quickly, drawing up plans to correct the entire
list of deficiencies at the facility, which can house about 50 patients.
Federal officials have accepted the state's proposed remedies, but plan to
conduct a follow-up inspection.

"We are feeling very hopeful," said Mental Health Commissioner Susan Besio.
Although she and the hospital staff were surprised by the criticisms, Besio
said, "all of them are resulting in positive changes."

The toughness of the federal critique surprised patient advocates, too, but
they agree with the findings.

Ed Paquin, executive director of Vermont Protection and Advocacy, said the
nursing shortage has long been a concern. His agency also disagreed with the
state's practice of locking patients on Brooks 1 in their rooms overnight.

"The results that come out of this are ones that we support," Paquin said.
Problems and fixes The shortage of nurses and other staff at the state
psychiatric hospital isn't new. In 1986, inspectors cited a similar staff
shortage and threatened to take away the hospital's federal funding.

Over the past year, Besio said the hospital has struggled to fill nursing
vacancies. To compete in the tight market, the state hospital won permission
from state hiring officials to offer higher wages.

"We have actually made some progress recruiting nurses," Besio said. Five
nurses have been hired this spring. To meet the federal demand for increased
staff, however, the hospital has also employed "traveling" nurses and other
temporaries.

Adding nurses and psychiatric technicians has helped the hospital remedy the
locked-door problem. "We have unlocked the doors," Besio said.

Patients on Brooks 1, the unit for people with the most serious mental
illnesses, were often locked in their rooms to protect them from other
patients. The practice allowed the unit to have fewer staff.

"When I heard about it, I was shocked," said Rep. Anne Donahue,
R-Northfield, who serves on the House Health and Welfare Committee and edits
Counterpoint, a newspaper of the Vermont Psychiatric Survivors organization.
"This is a hospital, not a prison."

Patients were supposed to be advised of the lock-up policy, but federal
officials questioned how often the notification took place.

Besio says the hospital has changed all the locks. The new ones allow
patients to lock their doors for safety, but still come out at any time.
Five additional staff work the night shift now that patients may choose to
roam the unit at night.

Treatment standards

Perhaps the hospital's greatest challenge will be to meet the treatment
standard set by the federal inspection team. The inspectors said the
hospital failed to provide records that would allow them to determine if all
patients were receiving treatment.

Besio said, "They have never, ever brought up this active treatment before."

Patients who are admitted to the state hospital routinely reject medication
and therapy. If they had agreed to treatment, they would have been cared for
at one of the regional psychiatric units in the state. Officials at the
state hospital frequently go to court to win permission to involuntarily
medicate individuals who pose a serious threat to themselves and others.

Paquin's agency helps patients challenge legal orders for involuntary
medication. "We definitely concern ourselves with an individual's right to
have a controlling part in what their treatment is and receive treatment
without coercion," he said. "As much as the state has made strides, we are
still behind state of the art in how we handle people in crisis."

Besio says hospital staff try to work with patients, "develop a
relationship, gain people's trust and get them to want treatment, to realize
they need treatment.

"What we do very well is start trying to engage people from the minute they
walk in our door," the commissioner said. "What we haven't done is document
that."

"It's a challenge," Besio said, "but we are hopeful we can show progress to
the reviewers."
Contact Nancy Remsen at [(802)] 229-9141 or nremsen@bfp.burlingtonfreepress
.com

=========================

--End of forwarded article--

~~~Related Web addresses & contact information:

* Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: http://cms.hhs.gov/

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore MD 21244-1850

Toll-Free: 877-267-2323

TTY Toll-Free: 866-226-1819

===================

* Department Developmental & Mental Health Services (Dept. of)(AHS):
http://www.state.vt.us/dmh/

State of Vermont Department of Developmental and Mental Health Services:

Susan W.Besio, Ph.D., Commissioner
Vermont Department of Developmental and Mental Health Services
103 South Main Street
Weeks Building
Waterbury, Vermont 05671-1601
Phone: (802) 241-2610
E-mail: sbesio@ddmhs.state.vt.us

The Division of Mental Health
Paul Blake, MSW, Director
E-mail: pblake@ddmhs.state.vt.us
Phone: (802) 241-2604

-- "The Division of Mental Health is divided into adult and children units,
oversees the operations of the Vermont State Hospital (VSH) in Waterbury,
the state's only public psychiatric facility, and purchases community-based
services from the state's ten Community Mental Health Centers (CMHC's) and
from a non-profit provider of residential services for children and
adolescents. The Vermont State Hospital serves people who need short-term
acute care and people who are under court-ordered psychiatric observation or
are committed by the Courts. [...]"

=================

* Vermont Protection & Advocacy: http://www.vtpa.org/

Vermont Protection & Advocacy
141 Main Street
Suite 7
Montpelier, Vermont 05602

(802) 229-1355
1-800-834-7890
(802) 229-2603 (TTY)
(802) 229-1359 (FAX)
Email: info@vtpa.org

==================

* Vermont Psychiatric Survivors (VPS): http://www.sover.net/~vpsinc/

Vermont Psychiatric Survivors (VPS)
One Scale Avenue, Suite 52
Rutland, Vermont, 05701

Phone: 1-800-564-2106

E-mail: vpsinc@sover.net

===================

* State Representative Anne Donahue, R-Northfield:

Republican -- Donahue, Anne B. , 148 Donahue Drive , Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-6431
E-Mail: adonahue@leg.state.vt.us & counterp@tds.net

State Legislative Bio:
http://vermont-elections.org/2003-2004BioBook/h-was2.htm

===================

Self-determination and independence versus force and dependency:
http://www.power2u.org/empower/self_deter.html
Commentary by Morgan W. Brown
National Empowerment Center (NEC) Newsletter

Alternative Mental Health Links: http://nht_amhl1.blogspot.com/

-- This is a links page concerning information about alternatives to the
traditional, medical model-based, mental health system.

Included within these listings as well, will be links to certain Websites,
articles, reports and other informational pages determined to be of related
interest concerning these matters.

educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------