[Hpn] FW: Gimme Shelter and other tunes - sing while you read!

Graeme Bacque gbacque@colosseum.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:41:49 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C35687.2E166860

-----Original Message-----
From: TDRC [mailto:tdrc@tdrc.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:30 AM
To: TDRC desk
Subject: Gimme Shelter and other tunes - sing while you read!

Gimme Shelter!

While the Stones' concert will undoubtedly boost our devastated hotel and
tourism industry and create some SARS relief dollars, it will likely provide
only palliative relief to a city stung by federal and provincial neglect.

Organizers hope that the VIP pavilion will allow dignitaries to interact
with each other for the advancement of Canada and that the atmosphere will
be similar to a summit of business and government leaders searching for
solutions to the city's woes. Dennis Mills hopes for quality time to
talk....about all our challenges from tourism to beef.

Will the VIPs discuss our real challenges: a crumbling health care system,
our homelessness disaster, the devastation of urban hunger and unemployment,
the lack of free pools and recreation programs for children and families?  I
doubt it. These communities are constantly told "You can't always get what
you want."

"Paint it black."

While the Stones rock, dozens of homeless people will lie down on pews and
benches in daytime drop-in centres craving much needed sleep, meanwhile,
hundreds will migrate from all night streetcars to coffee shops. They all
well may ask "Why reduce us to midnight ramblers? Can't you hear us
knocking? Gimme shelter!"

To the VIPs, why not Start Me Up! Why not a fully funded national housing
programme, a fully funded childcare programme, an increase to the minimum
wage and to welfare rates? Why not sing the song with meaning "This will be
the last time", that Torontonians and Canadians are forced to face abject
poverty, hunger and homelessness!

VIP guests Finance Minsiter John Manley, Defence Minister John McCallum and
federal leader in-waiting Paul Martin could do well to spend quality time in
the VIP pavilion with NDP leader Jack Layton to learn what real Canadians
truly need. Maybe Layton could provide them with a free signed copy of his
book "Homelesness. The Making and Unmaking of a crisis."

To be concrete, Minister McCallum could offer the surplus Toronto Moss Park
armouries as land for supportive housing. Finance Minister Manley could
offer an additional 1% of federal spending to a national housing programme,
and federal leader in-waiting Paul Martin could re-commit to his 1990
Liberal Task Force on Housing report that stated " the federal government
has abandoned its responsibilities with regards to housing problems"

At least then, anti-poverty workers would not be facing their 19th Nervous
Breakdown.

And remember, if we Can't Get No Satisfaction, millions of Canadians will
have No Sympathy for the Devil.

Cathy Crowe

**********************************
1% 1% 1% 1% 1%....
For more information and to endorse the 1 % Solution,
visit our website at www.tdrc.net

Toronto Disaster Relief Committee (TDRC)
6 Trinity Square, Toronto, ON M5G 1B1
Phone: 416-599-8372 Fax: 416-599-5445
EMAIL: tdrc@tdrc.net WEBSITE: www.tdrc.net

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C35687.2E166860

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> TDRC=20
[mailto:tdrc@tdrc.net]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:30=20
AM<BR><B>To:</B> TDRC desk<BR><B>Subject:</B> Gimme Shelter and other =
tunes -=20
sing while you read!<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><STRONG>Gimme=20
Shelter!</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While the Stones' concert will =
undoubtedly boost=20
our devastated hotel and tourism industry and create <U>some</U> SARS =
relief=20
dollars, it will likely provide only palliative relief to a city stung =
by=20
federal and provincial neglect.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Organizers hope that the VIP pavilion =
will allow=20
dignitaries to interact with each other for the advancement of Canada =
and that=20
the atmosphere will be similar to a summit of business and government =
leaders=20
searching for solutions to the city's woes. Dennis Mills hopes for =
quality time=20
to talk....about all our challenges from tourism to beef.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Will the VIPs discuss our real =
challenges: a=20
crumbling health care system, our homelessness disaster, the devastation =
of=20
urban hunger and unemployment, the lack of free pools and recreation =
programs=20
for children and families? &nbsp;I doubt it. These communities are =
constantly=20
told <STRONG>"You can't always get what you want</STRONG>." =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>"Paint it =
black</STRONG>."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While the Stones rock, dozens of =
homeless people=20
will lie down on pews and benches in daytime drop-in centres craving =
much needed=20
sleep, meanwhile, hundreds will migrate from all night streetcars to =
coffee=20
shops. They all well may&nbsp;ask "<STRONG>Why reduce us to midnight =
ramblers?=20
Can't you hear us knocking? Gimme shelter!"</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To the VIPs, why not <STRONG>Start Me =
Up</STRONG>!=20
Why not a fully funded national housing programme, a fully funded =
childcare=20
programme, an increase to the minimum wage and to welfare rates? Why not =
sing=20
the song with meaning <STRONG>"This will be the last time"</STRONG>, =
that=20
Torontonians and Canadians are forced to face abject poverty, hunger and =

homelessness!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>VIP guests Finance Minsiter John =
Manley, Defence=20
Minister John McCallum and federal leader in-waiting Paul Martin could =
do well=20
to spend quality time in the VIP pavilion with NDP leader Jack Layton to =
learn=20
what real Canadians truly need. Maybe Layton could provide them with a =
free=20
signed copy of his book "<U>Homelesness. The Making and Unmaking of a=20
crisis</U>."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To be concrete, Minister McCallum could =
offer the=20
surplus Toronto Moss Park armouries as land for supportive housing. =
Finance=20
Minister Manley could offer an additional 1% of federal spending to a =
national=20
housing programme, and federal leader in-waiting Paul Martin could =
re-commit to=20
his 1990 Liberal Task Force on Housing report that stated " the federal=20
government has abandoned its responsibilities with regards to housing=20
problems"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At least then, anti-poverty workers =
would not be=20
facing their <STRONG>19th Nervous Breakdown</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And remember, if we <STRONG>Can't Get =
No=20
Satisfaction</STRONG>, millions of Canadians will have <STRONG>No =
Sympathy for=20
the Devil</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cathy Crowe </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
more=20
information and to endorse the 1 % Solution,<BR>visit our website at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tdrc.net">www.tdrc.net</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Toronto Disaster Relief Committee (TDRC)<BR>6 Trinity Square, =
Toronto, ON=20
M5G 1B1<BR>Phone: 416-599-8372 Fax: 416-599-5445<BR>EMAIL: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:tdrc@tdrc.net">tdrc@tdrc.net</A> WEBSITE: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tdrc.net">www.tdrc.net</A><BR></DIV></FONT></DIV></BOD=