[Hpn] Re: Careful: The FB-eye may be watching

William Mandel wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:36:29 -0700

No one has to talk to the FBI. Period. During the McCarthy era, they
tried by waiting at the doorstep of my apartment building. On one
occasion, they phoned, and said: "We want to talk to you." I replied:
"But I don't want to talk to YOU," and slammed down the phone. They did
come to my door in my absence, when the Rosenbergs were in the death
house, and said to my wife: "If your husband won't cooperate, he'll be a
defendant in a major case." That had lifelong psychiatric consequences
upon at least one of my children and stressed me to the point of making
life very unpleasant for them, they told me when they were adults,
decades later.
   I took it for granted my phone was tapped. As soon as that particular
phone call ended, I phoned literally everyone I knew and repeated it to
them, so they would know that if I disappeared I had been disappeared.
That worked. They didn't bother me again.
   All the foregoing is spelled out in the chapter, "One on One With
Sen. Joe McCarthy" in my autobiography.
   Anything whatever you say to them can be used to build a
circumstantial case against you or anyone whatever or any place whatever
(bookstore, library, coffee shop). What they don't know can't hurt you
or anyone else.
   "Confidential" interview? Hogwash. You are a free citizen who can
talk to anyone about anything.
                       Bill

The title of my autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Introduction by
Howard Zinn), is based on my demolition of Sen. Joe McCarthy and later
of HUAC in hearings of 1953 and 1960. It is a history of how the
American people fought to defend and expand its rights since the 1920s
(I'm 86) employing the form of the life of a 30s AND 60s activist, one
who was involved in most serious movements: student, labor, 45 years of
efforts to prevent war with the USSR and Cuba, civil rights South and
North, women's liberation [my late wife appears on 50 pages], 37 years
on Pacifica Radio [where I reinvented talk radio, of whose previous
existence I had been unaware], civil liberties, and opposition to
anti-Semitism and to Zionism. You may hear/see my testimony before the
three different McCarthy-Cold-War-Era witch-hunting committees [used in
six films and a play]) on my website, http://www.billmandel.net  I am
the author of five books in my academic field, have taught at UC
Berkeley, and earlier held a postdoctoral fellowship, by invitation, at
Stanford's Hoover Institution.
 The book may be ordered through all normal sources. For an autographed
copy, send me $24 at 4466 View Pl.,#106, Oakland, CA. 94611