[Hpn] letter to my family by Z

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:29:42 -0700

A letter to my family and friends
by Z June 30, 2003

http://www.unknownnews.net/

It's time I spoke up with my own words. I cannot remain silent
anymore, even if it costs me personally. All I hope is that my words
don't fall on deaf ears, and that my concerns are not just brushed
off. I have been personally affected by what is happening, and I want
others to know what I feel.

I am afraid. Everyday I step out into a world unlike anything I ever
thought truly possible  a world of my worst fears. If only I could
convince myself that I was afraid of shadows, I could then ignore
that quiet voice inside that sees the things I wish were not there.

America is no longer the land of the free.

Our democratic republic officially died when five Supreme Court
Justices, led by Chief Justice Rehnquist, installed George W. Bush as
president of the United States. Despite the distractions of hanging
chads and butterfly ballots, the fact remains that thousands of
mainly black, mainly Democratic voters were purged from the voter
rolls before the 2000 election by Bush's brother Jeb and Katherine
Harris through DBT Technologies (now known as Centerpoint). Massive
vote fraud occurred in Florida, to the rightful outrage of all
Americans who know the available, but underreported, facts. When Bush
still teetered on the edge of losing the state despite the vote-
fixing, Katherine Harris stopped the recount  a conflict of
interest, as she was co-chair of Bush's election campaign in Florida.
The United States Supreme Court then took the unprecedented and
unConstitutional step of illegally selecting Bush as president. These
facts are widely known outside this country and in the alternative
media here, yet many of my fellow citizens simply refuse to even
consider this act  a bloodless coup d'etat  as possible.

Then came the accounting scandals. Enron, Tyco, WorldCom  which,
despite being guilty of the most massive corporate fraud in United
States history, has just won an $11,000,000,000 government contract
to build a cellular phone network in Iraq. Kenneth Lay, CEO and
fraudster-in-command at Enron, conspired with his fellow crooks to
steal people's life savings, and has done exactly zero days in jail
and paid zero dollars in fines. Little surprise, as Enron was Bush's
biggest campaign contributor in no less than three elections  Bush's
two governships and the 2000 election. No surprise that the Bush
administration, which used Enron jets cost-free during the Florida
recount debacle and whose leader refers to Lay as "Kenny Boy", would
decline to seriously pursue the conspirators of this crime.

I was affected by Enron's fraud. Remember hearing about the rolling
blackouts in California, the jacked-up prices (Enron overcharged the
state of California by billions), the conservation measures? I dealt
with them. I paid the doubled electricity bills due to Bush's
corporate friends, who met with Dick Cheney on the Energy Task Force
the same task force that Cheney refuses to release documents from,
defying a court order. But this is just the tip of the iceberg when
it comes to Bush administration policies affecting me personally
policies which will affect everyone as they consolidate their power.

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I woke up to unbelievable words
"Terrorists attacked New York." We watched the horror of that day,
as all of you did. We cried. I walked around in shock for a week. I
simply could not believe anyone could be that evil. And I fell in
line with everyone else who so desperately wanted to rally together
and stay strong, to refuse to be defeated by this insane act. I saw
such beautiful support and love from all over the globe, courage from
everyday Americans, and a chance to really look at our place in the
world.

Then Bush gave The Speech: we were going to attack Afghanistan. And
I, shattered like so many, supported him. Believed him. Trusted him.

That trust was misplaced, and it took ten months before I woke from
the fog and started asking questions.

Since then, I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about the
rot at the heart of the United States government. I am, despite my
colorful choice of nicknames, no radical. I am not a man of paranoid
delusions about 'the gubbermint" and alien crop circle Bigfoot
abductions. When I first discovered the emerging truth about the Bush
administration and its recycled Reaganites  many of them considered
downright criminals by the world at large  I became so angry that I
ripped the American flag from my antenna and snapped its mast in two.

No one likes to be lied to. And we have been. Repeatedly. What's
worse, we fell for it, utterly.

In the streets, I protested the invasion of Iraq, a country that was
no threat to the United States, despite the lies told to the American
public  told to you and I  by the Bush administration and parroted
by the bought-off, gutless "liberal" (hah! liberal, my eye!) media.
For my efforts to help call attention to the truth, I have been
labeled a Saddam-sympathizer, a traitor  even told I had the same
mindset as the abominable, murderous Osama bin Laden (who, by the
way, despised Hussein and flatly refused to work with him, even
offering before the Gulf War in 1991 to raise 100,000 soldiers to
fight Hussein so that the United States would not base soldiers in
Saudi Arabia).

I was even pulled over by the police for having an upside-down
American flag  a universal sign of distress  on my antenna.

I have been verbally attacked, glared at with hatred, and intimidated
by people, simply for expressing dissent via bumper stickers on my
car. I have lost friendships over my desire to tell the truth about
what's going on in America today. Even with all this, though, I won't
remain silent. I love America, and I want my country back.

By now, it should be obvious to everyone not too scared to see
reality that things are seriously wrong in America. People
including an American citizen   are being held without access to
lawyers, without knowing the charges against them, their
Constitutional and human rights violated. Even now, the United States
military plans on adding an execution chamber to its shameful
detention camps in Guantanamo Bay, where the Geneva Convention is not
followed and 23 detainees have attempted suicide due to execrable
conditions. Over seven hundred men, mostly Arabs, have been secretly
detained since 9/11, despite the fact that our government has
admitted that most of these prisoners have little or no links to
terrorism. Military tribunals are planned for those deemed "enemy
combatants"  a conveniently vague classification  solely on the
decision of the Bush administration. The misnamed Patriot Act has
stripped away fundamental rights and allows secret "sneak-and-peak"
break-and-enter searches, roving wiretaps, and other privacy-invading
tactics reminiscent of COINTELPRO, the former government program that
spied on and infiltrated "unapproved" political groups, a program
that was officially banned in 1976 due to police and state abuse.
Library, book purchase, and internet usage records can now be seized
by the FBI on demand.

More than 50 of our collective sons and daughters in the military
have died in Iraq since Bush declared "Mission Accomplished" aboard
the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln  a surreal moment, since our flight-
suited Fearless Leader went AWOL in 1972 from the Texas Air National
Guard, allowing others to die in Vietnam while his congressional
father pulled strings to place his barely-qualified-to-fly son ahead
of thousands of worthy young men. The Iraqi people demand our troops
get the hell out of their country, angrier every day at the
incompetent reconstruction efforts and continued shortages of water,
food, and freedoms. Our soldiers have died, and continue to die, for
the lies of an administration so intermingled with oil companies that
it constitutes an environmental disaster all by itself.

And I hear very little outrage.

Instead, people shrug off the obvious, lie to themselves with the
help of "fair and balanced" media (here's a hint: Roger Ailes, head
of FOX News, worked for Reagan), and stay focused on so-called
reality shows like Survivor and CNN Headline News. People say "well,
it's all a matter of opinion", even when one can slap down the
official documents which prove the truth about criminal enterprises
such as Iran-Contra, Operation Northwoods, and the current occupation
of Iraq. More than ignorance, I see fear in these people  fear of
the truth, fear to face the fact that so much of what we have been
told about our government is a sham, a lie told to keep us in line
and under control. I know, because I once felt that same fear.

Now I feel a different fear. We have the illusion of freedom, nothing
more. To believe that the Bush administration has our best interests
at heart is to enable their lies and further their agenda of "full
spectrum dominance", as the administration-heavy members of the
Project for the New American Century describe their ultimate goals.
There was another time when citizens refused to see the encroaching
darkness, instead turning their eyes to meaningless scandals and
deceptive propaganda. That time was 1939 Germany, and the horror
unleashed with the assistance of the deceived, compliant German
populace still causes nightmares sixty years later.

America is the new pre-Poland Germany, the reincarnation of Rome
circa 492 A.D., and without a massive awakening we will follow that
ancient empire into the abyss of history. If we fail to hold our
government accountable for its actions, we will become the next
tyrannical empire, in name as well as fact. We will be responsible.

That is why I am afraid.