[Hpn] It takes a different village - ltr to editor

paula farrell paula_95814@yahoo.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:37:39 -0800 (PST)

My letter to the editor of Sacramento News & Review
was printed in this week's issue. Concerning Jan 16
editorial "It takes a different village".  They only
deleted out my last sentence "Thank you very much"

Re: "It takes a different village" (SN&R Editorial,
January 16, 2003)

Your editorial gave me great hope.  The main message
those of us experiencing homelessness usually get from
our community is that we should not exist.  This
message comes from the known fact that there are not
enough shelter beds or affordable housing for all the
homeless and yet the city has made it against the law
to sleep outdoors.  There are many community members
and organizations trying to solve this housing problem
but immediate solutions are not in sight.  And chances
become slimmer as the economy worsens, budgets are cut
and the city continues to subsidize luxury rental
housing projects with funds meant for affordable
housing.

The tent village concept, though officially denied,
has received support from some of the officials within
the denying offices.  Your support, their support and
the support from the community will be necessary
before any ordinance or code can be changed to meet
our emergency need - the need and right to exist on
this earth.

Paula Lomazzi
Sacramento