[Hpn] Homeless man freezes to death in Charlotte

Bruce D. Burch bruceb@triad.rr.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:56:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C2C614.36585780

Homeless man freezes to death in Charlotte=20

1-27-03

News & Record

Posted 7 a.m.=20

CHARLOTTE (AP) -- A sick homeless man who didn't like staying in =
shelters was found frozen to death near a crisis ministry center, =
authorities said.=20

Billy Ray Collins, 44, was found about 8 a.m. Saturday, curled in the =
fetal position on a concrete slab in a nearby park. He didn't have the =
blankets he usually used for warmth, and temperatures dipped to 14 =
degrees overnight.=20

Workers at the center said Collins had AIDS and was waiting for =
disability benefits to come through so he could move into a hospice. =
They said they had urged him to go to a shelter because he had felt =
weak.=20

Collins hadn't slept in a shelter for about three years, preferring to =
sleep outside with blankets, said Jason Wheeler, Collins' friend. =
Collins didn't like the rules at some shelters, which require men to =
leave early in the morning and search for work, Wheeler said.=20

Collins didn't get his blankets Friday night before the Urban Ministry =
Center gate was locked. Friends said Collins worried he would be charged =
with trespassing if he jumped the fence, so he decided to tough it out =
and sleep in the park in his jeans and jacket.=20

"He wasn't a shelter person. We tried to get him to go last night, and =
he said he was coming," said Darnell Griffis, a homeless man who has =
been friends with Collins for about a year.=20

Collins never showed up at the shelter, so Griffis, Wheeler and others =
set out to find him Saturday morning. They found him between two picnic =
tables.=20

See details of all the day's news in tomorrow's News & Record
http://www.news-record.com/news/now/homeless27.htm
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C2C614.36585780

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<H2 class=3Dheadline>Homeless man freezes to death in Charlotte </H2>
<P>
<H5 class=3Dheadline><I>1-27-03</I></H5>
<P>
<H5 class=3Dheadline><I></I><BR>News &amp; Record</H5>
<P>
<P>
<P>Posted 7 a.m.=20
<P>CHARLOTTE (AP) -- A sick homeless man who didn't like staying in =
shelters was=20
found frozen to death near a crisis ministry center, authorities said.=20
<P>Billy Ray Collins, 44, was found about 8 a.m. Saturday, curled in the =
fetal=20
position on a concrete slab in a nearby park. He didn't have the =
blankets he=20
usually used for warmth, and temperatures dipped to 14 degrees =
overnight.=20
<P>Workers at the center said Collins had AIDS and was waiting for =
disability=20
benefits to come through so he could move into a hospice. They said they =
had=20
urged him to go to a shelter because he had felt weak.=20
<P>Collins hadn't slept in a shelter for about three years, preferring =
to sleep=20
outside with blankets, said Jason Wheeler, Collins' friend. Collins =
didn't like=20
the rules at some shelters, which require men to leave early in the =
morning and=20
search for work, Wheeler said.=20
<P>Collins didn't get his blankets Friday night before the Urban =
Ministry Center=20
gate was locked. Friends said Collins worried he would be charged with=20
trespassing if he jumped the fence, so he decided to tough it out and =
sleep in=20
the park in his jeans and jacket.=20
<P>"He wasn't a shelter person. We tried to get him to go last night, =
and he=20
said he was coming," said Darnell Griffis, a homeless man who has been =
friends=20
with Collins for about a year.=20
<P>Collins never showed up at the shelter, so Griffis, Wheeler and =
others set=20
out to find him Saturday morning. They found him between two picnic =
tables.=20
<P><!-- Story homeless27 sent to Pantheon by GROSSMAN at 06:53:30 on =
01/27/03-->
<P>
<P>
<P><!--End Main Content-->
<DIV align=3Dcenter>See details of all the day's news in tomorrow's News =
&amp;=20
Record<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.news-record.com/news/now/homeless27.htm">http://www.ne=
ws-record.com/news/now/homeless27.htm</A></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C2C614.36585780--