[Hpn] New to list... some thoughts

Harmony Kieding worldhome@thesociety.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 06:39:20 -0800

Hi Mary,

And welcome to HPN!

What area of the US are you in? Am curious. I've been homeless in California
and Minnesota. Also, I've been there in being homeless in a motel sometimes...

I like your social services directory- it looks well organized and easy to use.
I myself have a homeless section on my website- "worldhome":

worldhome
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/causesindex.html

My husband and I were last homeless in 1999- we wound up having to move to another
country (long story).

I wish other human beings/"society" would listen to homeless people and homeless
advocates. Mostly it feels as if they just want to cover all of us over with
dirt to get us out of sight so they can forget about us. Of course, every now
and then there are break-throughs, but always in front of us is the job of blasting
away stereotypes.

Why, oh why, is it so hard for society to hear the message that we need more
affordable housing?

I hear you when you talk of jumping through hoops -having the transitional housing/getting
a job/. On top of being cold, stressed and exhausted and malnourished, sometimes
it's not easy to know where to begin. Or even if you do know where to begin,
the obstacles that are put in your way...

Anyway, am glad you are here and hope to hear more from you,

Harmony

What Causes Homelessness?
http;//www.planetsave.com/u/Harmony/

American Homeless Land Model