[Hpn] New to list... some thoughts

Mary inspiringmind@netzero.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 05:35:30 -0800

Hello.  I just got onto the list a few days ago.  I have had boughts of
being homeless with my family and right now we are living in a motel, mostly
because where we live doesn't have any really good homeless advacets.

I think that if a family is homeless and they have some kind of income
(especially low income) that a homeless shelter or other agency should be in
constant, working contact with local landlords in the community.  They
should be able to call these people and say "I have a family looking for
(whatever size) bedroom and this is their income."

We have a very low income and right now it would be pretty unprobable that
we could try to rent from someone an apartment or such cause they would
wonder how we would be able to pay.  They should lower the rent some for
people too.  Section 8 is fine but the waiting list is SO long and then you
have a hard time finding someone to rent to you still. Public housing is
fine too but for the wait.

Where I live also has very bad food banks and soup kitchens.  It would be
great if we could find a place where they had a great transitional housing
for families (including dad) and me be able to get a job so we could get a
place. It is very difficult to find a job where I live without jumping
through hoops first.

Anyway, my husband and I created a social services directory web site. We
have about 450 links to different resources for the homeless and low income
on the site. It goes by state.  I think we figure if we can't help ourselfes
then we will try and help others.  The web site address is:
http://www.social-services-directory.easywebhome.net/

Mary